Decided to do it: Still have some questions

John_in_NC,

Here's a few questions back your way :-)

You mention that you will eventually be a NW III. What are you now? if you are only a NWII it is not recommended getting a HT until you are at least a NW III. This really depends on how old you are which you havent mentioned, except to say that you are still going to school - Which tells us that you may be pretty young.

You also do not mention how many grafts you want to get.

Without this information a lot of this is hypothetical, if you post some pics you are going to get more accurate advice.

Will anyone see any redness after 6 weeks in the recipent area?

6 weeks is a long time, I have pale skin aswell and the redness was gone within 3-4 days. There are some cases where it can last up to 2 weeks but I think they are extreme. There are also reports that a pickness tinge may remain for 1-2 months, but I dont think it is nearly as noticeable as the fact that you have to buzz your hair down if you dont have enough hair to cover the transplant. Getting a tan pre-op will definately help with the redness.

If you let your donor hair to grow back, 6 weeks is more than enough to cover any signs of a FUE transplant.

How about the little red spots on the back (FUE)

Will anyone notice them with hair at #1.5 #2, or will they be healed by then? How big are they, provided I do the HT with a good doctor, say Dr. Bernstein?

You should check out FUE pictures post op, depending on the no of grafts you want - in some cases you cannot tell anything was done on a #1/#2. I would obviously err on the safe side and opt to have a bit of length post op for a couple of months just to make sure.

If shock loss were to happen, how long after the HT does it normally happen? When does the hair lost due to shock come back.

The extent of shockloss has many variables. It depends on the extent of your hairloss, the no of grafts you get, whether you are filling in balding areas or adding density amongst native hair, whether you are treating your hairloss with Propecia or Minoxidil etc.

If your hair is on its last hair cycle the shockloss may be permanent otherwise it is presumed that the shocked hair will return in 6-8 months.

The one thing I would recommend is to grow your hair long around 2-3 inches pre-op. You will have more options available to you on how to conceal your HT. I made the mistake of having short hair when having my HT now I have to face some uneasy days ahead of me when I get back to work next week.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Well that pic just looks like a mature hairline to me. But yeah being 30 if that is the extent of your hairloss you should be able to achieve what you want. I would recommend getting on Propecia for 6 months, grow your hair long and then you should be in perfect condition for a HT.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006