hair transplant

I had a hair transplant in the late eighties-the age of the hair plugs.The worst decision I ever made. Now the plugs are visible, so have baseball cap will travel. Does anyone have any suggestions other than a repair surgery as to what my options are. if I shave my head what can be done to conceal the scars from the hair plugs?

Guest Cousin_It

Ideally the best solution would be another transplant to obscure the plugs, but if this is out of the question you may consider using a cosmetic called DermaColor, this is probably the best coverup on the market, it may take a bit of experience applying it but once you get it down it may provide a acceptable solution for you. Just google it and find out more, good luck!

Slinhub,

I feel your pain, I had them done in the early 80s. Not many and luckily they were high enough on my head that a new hairline could be done in front of them for me. I had this done in 2001. I still need more work to fill in the forelock and am going to have the plugs reduced and then filled in around with more FUT's in January. My doc for this is James Vogel, not a coalition doc but on the network, he has on his site many patient repair photos. I do not blame you for being against more surgery, its expensive painful during recovery and stressful.

The nice part about going with strip surgery is the scar being small and not noticeable unlike the plug scars in the back you have from "open donor harvesting" which is barbaric and leaves small circle scars. Also, the strip taken can many times include the old open donor sites and they will be eliminated. I keep my hair long enough (nobuzz4me!), maybe one inch to conceal the linear scar. My linear scar is so small that if I did not know it was there I could not find it.

Since it sounds like you are really against further surgery, I have read some guys did laser removal of the hairs inside the plug the dermabrasion to smooth out any "cobblestoning" or ridging" you may have. The circular scars in the back can be punched out and stitched but that seems tedious and is still surgery, not sure what else you can do about those unless you keep your hair longer in the back.

I have been researching this awhile since I have the same problem, I decided to repair and enhance my hair rather than shave it off.

I have a few questions for you,

# of original plugs done, size and location?

Did you start Propecia just now or years ago and had no luck with it?

Condition of your donor hair? Where are you on the Norwood scale?

I would not rule out repair work!

NoBuzz