Opinions of Avodart

I was hoping to get some opinions of memebers who are taking Avodart, especially ones who had also taken Propecia. Have you noticed a significant advantage compared to Propecia? I know it blocks more DHT but has anyone noticed more growth compared to Propecia, better resistance to shock loss for HT, that sort of first hand info. Thanks in advance

I was hoping to get some opinions of memebers who are taking Avodart, especially ones who had also taken Propecia. Have you noticed a significant advantage compared to Propecia? I know it blocks more DHT but has anyone noticed more growth compared to Propecia, better resistance to shock loss for HT, that sort of first hand info. Thanks in advance

mr. joe,

You may want to search through threads posted by Robert on this forum. He's been on Avodart awhile and there have been several posts so you should be able to get plenty of info.

There's no doubt that Avodart will block more DHT (total) as Propecia only blocks DHT AR-II and Avodart blocks DHT AR-II and AR-I. I think the main concern with Avodart is the risk involved with unknown testing over the long haul.

I've not heard of Avodart helping to avoid permanent shock loss any more than Propecia but maybe someone esle will comment on this??

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi joe,

I have currently been taking Avodart for about 2 months since 10 days after my HT. I needed to get on an aggressive regimen because I was experiencing a lot of hairloss while I was on Propecia. At the moment I believe Im still experience some shedding I am still hopefull that the shedding will stop after a few more weeks and to expect some positive results in 3-4 months.

With Avodart and Xandros (with Azelic Acid) and Nizoral 2% Im trying to stave as much DHT from my scalp as I possibly can. It really should be a last option in any regimen as it has not yet been approved for hairloss yet and there are no long term studies on it. Also it is considered a 'dangerous drug' compared to Propecia because of the way it works.

I would think very hard about your decision to start taking Avodart. It has a 6 month effective life so if you get any sides with it, it will likely be a long time before they subside. You can read a number of Avodart patients feedback here:

http://xenicalwtloss.hypermart.net/AvodartPatientTestimonials.html

I only took it because I was having aggressive hairloss under propecia in the last few years. Also I am young so if the hairloss continued like this it would be likely that I would not have enough donor hair left for an acceptable cosmetic appearance in future. I am not holding my breadth for hair multiplication in the next 8 years so I decided I needed to do everything to stop my hairloss now.

In conclusion I dont think I have achieved much regrowth off Avodart but I do believe my hairloss has at least slowed compared to Propecia - though it is really hard to tell after only a couple of months.

I would also like to hear other peoples experiences from using Avodart here.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I did a search and it was very helpful. I'm also hoping members will share their experiences. I PMed Robert about his experience and hope to contact a few members who are not as active on the board now about theirs as well. Propecia seems to have slowed or stopped my loss but I cannot tell if there was any regrowth; it doesn't appear there was. I'm glad that the drain in the shower isn't covered by hair anymore, but the crown area is where my loss is and HT usually focus first on the front or frame of the face. I guess the goal is to improve the crown some what so donor supply can be conserved. Anyway, thanks, you folks are always helpful. I hope to hear from others