What age would you consider hair transplants as an option, How's Bosley?

JBlacK

Im only 22 and i started losing my hair on the crown of my head at about 19, But I had a good head of hair besides that. Now im noticing a general thinning on my hairline and middle of my head. I'm seriously considering a HT but im really worried about future loss. I dont want the doughnut look, or something extremely obvious. I talked to a Bosley consultant, but they seemed like a fast food chain for Hair transplants, You know.....Over 25,000 hair transplants performed, etc. Just curious if any of you out there had a transplant at a young age and what were your results?

Im only 22 and i started losing my hair on the crown of my head at about 19, But I had a good head of hair besides that. Now im noticing a general thinning on my hairline and middle of my head. I'm seriously considering a HT but im really worried about future loss. I dont want the doughnut look, or something extremely obvious. I talked to a Bosley consultant, but they seemed like a fast food chain for Hair transplants, You know.....Over 25,000 hair transplants performed, etc. Just curious if any of you out there had a transplant at a young age and what were your results?

Suggest you start on finasteride to try to minimize further hairloss. You're still young for a transplant for the exact reasons you already mentioned. If you eventually decide to transplant, either sooner or later, go to a doctor skilled and experienced in treating advanced balding, and transplant like you're a NW7, which unfortunately you're likely to be. You'll have to get a conservative transplant - there is always a tradeoff between density, coverage, placement of hairline and temples, etc., but these tradeoffs are more critical the less donor hair you have. It's not good news, but it's the truth. Run from Bosley and MHR and the like and don't look back.

I talked to a Bosley consultant, but they seemed like a fast food chain for Hair transplants, You know.....Over 25,000 hair transplants performed, etc.

Hah, you hit the nail on the head!!!

I agree with Spoon, start thinking about prevention right away. Look into getting a prescription for Propecia from a dermatologist. If you are in the eraly stages of hair loss, odds are good you will have excellent results. It's a LOT easier to keep the hair you still have, than it is to regrow hair. Don't wait 10 years until you have lost a ton of hair, stop your hair loss in its tracks now and the odds are good you will never get to the point where you want a hair transplant.

• 4 weeks later...