Is FUE worth it?

Hi all,

Yes I'm sure that many people have already asked this questin but I am having problems finding the information I need.

Who are the current recommended surgions who do FUE procedures?

I do not mean megasessions, but procedures for less than 300 graphs. I want some hairline work, and though I don't want to go to a certein surgion just based of the fact that they do FUE, the fact that it is less invasive is very attractive. On the other hand I have read that with the right surgion the donor scar will be so faint that it will not even be noticable and some of the posters have said that the extra cost of an FUE is not even worth it. I was also thinking that with the smaller number of graphs needed the strip would also be smaller and this may mean better/ quicker healing. But I have just begun researching so I do not know all the specifics. So for those of you out there who have had smaller HT sessions what is your opinion on this topic?

Is FUE really a better choice for those who need a small number of graphs?

What are the pros/cons?

Are there any surgions who get consistantly good results with FUE?

Strip would be great but for that small amount I would go fue in a minute.

Remember though Im a guy and I wouldnt want the scar in case I wanted to cut hair real short

I dont think any of the surgeons are recommended for fue but the only other one outside of where we live I would feel good sending you to is Dr Feller out of NY.

Fue is twice as expensive ,and the growth is said to be a little less .

if you dont mind a little scar then no reason to look any further then what we talked about.

Youll save money and have great growth . Its just a more intrusive type surgery.

FUE is great for someone with limited needs. If you truely need only a few hundred grafts and your family history suggests that you won't end up needing thousands of grafts to frame your face later on, its probably a perfect solution for you. If someone has a family that winds up class 7 and that person is young and is worried only about the hairline, they should probably either do a conservative strip(so as to limit scarring in the donor field) or wait until their hair "declares" what its going to do.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the replies.

I was also wondering where the the donor hairs from the FUE could be taken from?

I have read through some threads where posters have discussed using FUE in conjunction with the strip in order to get the whispy hairs for the hairline.

Sonia,

If you really require no more than 300 grafts, I would think FUE is a great option for you.

When you say you need 300 grafts for the hairline, I am assuming that your goal is to touch up some small areas along your existing hairline. Is that right?

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yes. I have not had a consult so it may be as low as 100 grafts. I guess my concern with the strip procedure is that there may not be enough thinner/whispy hairs that can be taken from the back of my head. Can a few donor hairs be extracted from areas that grow thinner hair using FUE and what percentage of those hairs actually end up growing?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it harder to extract and implant finer hairs?