Dr. James Malecka - South Jersey

Does anyone have any feedback about Dr. James Malecka? I found his consultant (also his surgical assistant) very helpful. However, the price I was quoted for about 900 grafts was $5000. He said I would need 2 sessions. This seems kind of steep compared with the numbers others on this site say they have paid for almost double the amount of grafts.

I am new here so any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Does anyone have any feedback about Dr. James Malecka? I found his consultant (also his surgical assistant) very helpful. However, the price I was quoted for about 900 grafts was $5000. He said I would need 2 sessions. This seems kind of steep compared with the numbers others on this site say they have paid for almost double the amount of grafts.

I am new here so any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have never heard of this doctor. How severe is your hairloss? 900 grafts is a very small procedure. Is this a "strip" procedure? I personally wouldn't do a strip procedure for only 900 grafts. Also, make sure you are getting follicular units trimmed under a microscope. Did you meet with the actual doctor or just his assistant? I personally wouldn't consider a doctor who wasn't willing to meet with me for the consult.

Guitar Player, thanks for replying to my post.

I did not know that 900 is considered a relatively small amount of hair to transplant. I started losing hair in my early 20's. I am now 35. I still have hair, but the way I'm going, I will probably be a 6 on the hair loss chart by the time I am in my 50's. The doctor's assistant made no mention of a strip procedure. He said the follicular units will be trimmed under magnification but did not specifically say microscopic dissection. Is there a difference?

Yes, both places I went (Pistone and Malecka) only offered evaluations by consultants rather than with the doctor himself. It was a little disheartening, but at Malecka, at least the person I met with is also the phyisican's surgical assistant, rather than just a salesman like at Pistone. He did take the time to answer all my questions and was very helpful, but now you got me thinking what I should do.

Yo Kid

Sounds like you were in my class of hair loss. Dr True did my surgery ( just had my 2nd procedure) each of 1450 or so. He is based out of NYC and does excellent work and is very professional yet personable. Check out some of the feedback on here as well.I am extremely pleased with results of my 1st and looking forward to see the same for my recent one There are many great doctors in the NY area. Do a search on here

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm glad you found this site before making any decisions...I know from experience that Dr. Malecka is years behind the curve when it comes to a modern HT--I was a patient of his in 1985 & his practice hasn't changed much since then (still using mini-grafts instead of follicular units)...as others have recommended, please consult with doctors recommended by this site--Dr. Feller, Dr. True, Dr. Bernstein & others are using techniques that produce amazing results--yes it's a fact, 900 grafts would be a very small procedure...it is in your best interest to read thru the various topics & responses posted on the site & you'll soon become familiar with what to expect...I'm sorry that you didn't meet with Dr. Pistone, when you consulted there, because he is practicing modern HT techniques...in any case, get as many consults with recommended docs as possible & get a better feel for the amount of grafts that will be needed...FYI, a NW6 patient might need 4 to 6 thousand grafts for a complete restoration if there was adequate donor supply...there's a graft calculator on this site which might help you get a better idea of your overall situation...good luck & good reading!

• Administrators

Mike,

Thanks for reporting your direct experience with Dr. Malecka. When I was visiting surgeons on the east coast this summer I tried to visit every clinic that I thought might be doing quality follicular unit grafting. Dr. Malecka was completely off the radar screen.

However, advising a patient to do two cases of 900 grafts is a red flag in my book. Now days with ultra refined follicular unit surgery and minimally invasive incisions that enable dense packing there is no compelling reason to do 1,800 grafts in two sessions rather than one.

If you are in New Jersey I strongly advice you to consult with Dr. Bob Bernstein. He is not only outstanding for your area but internationally renown.

I did speak with Dr. Pistone and he sounded like he is doing quality follicular unit sessions but limited in size to around 2,000 grafts.

Welcome to our community and best wishes for getting an excellent result.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thank you, Mike. I will take your advice and meet with other surgeons before making a decision.

Originally posted by Mike1651:

I'm glad you found this site before making any decisions...I know from experience that Dr. Malecka is years behind the curve when it comes to a modern HT--I was a patient of his in 1985 & his practice hasn't changed much since then (still using mini-grafts instead of follicular units)...as others have recommended, please consult with doctors recommended by this site--Dr. Feller, Dr. True, Dr. Bernstein & others are using techniques that produce amazing results--yes it's a fact, 900 grafts would be a very small procedure...it is in your best interest to read thru the various topics & responses posted on the site & you'll soon become familiar with what to expect...I'm sorry that you didn't meet with Dr. Pistone, when you consulted there, because he is practicing modern HT techniques...in any case, get as many consults with recommended docs as possible & get a better feel for the amount of grafts that will be needed...FYI, a NW6 patient might need 4 to 6 thousand grafts for a complete restoration if there was adequate donor supply...there's a graft calculator on this site which might help you get a better idea of your overall situation...good luck & good reading!