Head and Shoulders

As a means to have a healthier scalp, I switched from my older shampoo of Vive for Men thickening shampoo to Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special shampoo. At first I liked the results, but I didn't feel like using the Paul Mitchell shampoo daily was really a good idea. So, I decided to switch to Head and Shoulders, sensitive scalp formula. Even though I've never had dandruff before in my life, I figured it would help make my scalp healthier.

At first, I loved how it left my hair and it seemed to be a match made in heaven. But, about 3/4 through the bottle, I started getting DANDRUFF. Does this make sense? Can I be getting dandruff from a shampoo which is supposed to fight against it? Aside from the dandruff, I like the shampoo and would like to continue using it... but this dandruff is serious and I don't understand why it would form now all of a sudden.

HairySituation,

That's interesting. Though I have heard of some medications offering a side effect of the very same thing it's fighting against (strange I must add), I never heard of this with Head and Shoulders, but I am far from a dandruff shampoo expert. The only thing I can think of is that maybe overuse of it is drying out your scalp.

In my opinion, you might want to try coming off of it for a week or so to see if your situation improves. Perhaps rotate this with other shampoos that help moisturize your scalp.

You may also consider using Nizoral shampoo a few times a week, as the active ingredient ketoconazole has dandruff fighting properties.

I hope this helps.

Bill