FEMALE HAIR TRANSPLANT

Hello everybody.I am new to this forum.Dont see many female patients in here!!

I am 28 yrs old and have thinning hair since the last 5 yrs.I finally decided on doing research on hair transplant and now after much much research....I have decided on Dr Epstein.Dr Epstein has numerous female patients as compared to other hair transplant surgeons.Dr Epstein personally replies to every email and Roxy's a gem.

I am aware that not many women are good candidates fo a hair transplant.I just hope I am not one of them.So if there are women out there who have been thrugh this ordeal I would appreciate if you share your experiences.Its really very depressing for young women to lose hair so guys your help is much much appreciated!!!

Hello everybody.I am new to this forum.Dont see many female patients in here!!

I am 28 yrs old and have thinning hair since the last 5 yrs.I finally decided on doing research on hair transplant and now after much much research....I have decided on Dr Epstein.Dr Epstein has numerous female patients as compared to other hair transplant surgeons.Dr Epstein personally replies to every email and Roxy's a gem.

I am aware that not many women are good candidates fo a hair transplant.I just hope I am not one of them.So if there are women out there who have been thrugh this ordeal I would appreciate if you share your experiences.Its really very depressing for young women to lose hair so guys your help is much much appreciated!!!

Mrs. Hair,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Though this forum is mostly dominated by balding men, you will find the occasional female post their experience and hair loss story here.

But I hope you won't let that scare you away - we're glad you found us. We can all relate to the emotional struggle of hair loss here, and many of us have been through surgery too.

Dr. Epstein has an excellent track record of producing quality results.

In my opinion, be sure to get tested by a dermatologist for any non-genetic causes of hair loss. In many cases, treating the condition causing non-genetic hair loss can reverse it and there is no need for surgery. Female pattern baldness however with a stable donor area is often treatable with hair transplant surgery, and as long as you have reasonable expectations, you will most likely be satisfied with what surgery can offer you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you so much Bill...

I have a few doubts ..probably the jitters..Does pre-mature hair transplant cause more hair loss?I ask because I am 28 and can manage with a few hair products.But I want to put an end to this everyday struggle and everyday camouflaging..

I have also read that an experienced doctor who is very careful when placing the grafts betwen existing hair can minimize shock loss.Is that true?

thanks once again!

Mrs. Hair,

Selecting an experienced elite surgeon with a proven track record of successful results will make all the difference in the world. Surgeons who use ultra refined tools to make minimally invasive incisions will help minimize shock loss however, it does not eliminate it. In fact, I have been recently contacted by another woman on this site at 2.5 months and she is panicking because she experienced a lot of shock loss. I know I felt similarly when I was at that stage since I experienced the same thing. Shock loss is a temporary inconvenience, but one that is of real serious concern for many - especially when they start to experience it, because the reality of even more hair loss is scary.

That is why careful planning and looking toward the long term goal rather than the short term is highly important.

By the way, in case you want to speak to the woman I referenced, she goes by "D.Correll" on the forum and she recently posted on this thread.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you once again.Yes you are rite ..n experienced surgeon will make all the difference and that is why Dr Epstein :-)I hope this works for me..I will keep you guys posted abt my procedure.

Before any woman proceeds with surgery, she should properly be evaluated for medical and other conditions that can mimick female pattern thinning. Be sure not to ignore this as I have seen many women have surgery only to find out later there was a medical reason for their hair loss.

I generally do not initially recommend a hair transplant for women unless they have had a proper medical workup. I found too many cases of underactive thyroid, low ferritin/iron and causes of telogen effluvium or shock loss due to other factors mimicking androgenetic alopecia. I have also found two cases of diffuse alopecia areata, an immunological condition where the hair transplants would not work.

We deal with a lot of women and it is our standard pratice to assure this is done. These are some of the basics. For a womans perspective on hair tranpslant results see below:

• 8 months later...

I'm a 45 year old female and had my FUT procedure done in December 2008 with Dr. Rahal in Ottawa. Dr Rahal and his staff are very professional. The procedure lasted for more than 8 hours...1925 grafts- 3,675 hairs total. The first 2 weeks were very uncomfortable...(til the stitches came out).

My original hair started growing immediately after the procedure but I did experience some shockloss in the donor area.

I am now at 3 months and my "new" hairs are definitely starting to grow. The scar in the donor area is almost invisible and my hair has grown over it. I do have lots of pimples and have been using witch hazel. I still have numb spots on my head, mostly at the back. My scalp is still quite red and I decided to stop using rogaine for a few weeks to see if the redness disappears.

The most difficult aspect of the whole procedure (except for the first 2 weeks) is having my hair cut short on top of my head. with the rest of my hair being shoulder length, I look pretty funny...Wearing hats and scarves takes some getting used to but I'm actually starting to like this new look!

Looking forward to the next few months.

And yes , I would do it all over again

Dr Mejia,

What is considered to be low iron levels? Is there a specific reading you could quote? My wife has been losing her hair for 15 years and her doctor has her taking an iron supplement because we found that her levels were low from regular blood testing. Her hair loss has become obvious and although she is putting on a brave face, I think she is starting to worry, I know that I am for her sake. I persuaded her to see a dermatologist and he was absolutely useless. Any info you could provide would be appreciated. Also, do you recommend seeing an endocrinologist?

Chantal,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant with a fine surgeon. I'd recommend creating your own thread to share your experience in order to maximize the number of replies and support you'll receive.

I also encourage you to create a free hair loss weblog to document your progress with photos.

Best wishes,

Bill