12 months of HT recovery and what to expect

Hi guys and gals. As you know I do not create new posts often but when I do , I hope they are insightful ones.

We get soo many questions about post op and the feelings/results that go with.. with this in mind here is one of my favorite posts.

For the newbies and vets , enjoy

Month 1 - Question? What did I do? This hurts!

Month 2 - What's going on? Are these things normal to happen?

Month 3 - Impatience/doubt?(no growth & scar concern)

Month 4 - More impatience/doubt. This didn't work

Month 5 - Frustration (looking in mirror every hour)

Month 6 - Hope! I see something (scar fading)

Month 7 - Elation! Growth and small results, hair is coarse but it's HAIR!

Month 8 - Happiness & compliments (people notice)Scar fading

Month 9 - More people notice. You have a new hairstyle!

Month 10 - God I should have done this sooner!!!

Month 11 - I want another!!

Month 12 - WOW, what a difference (#2 is scheduled)

Month 13-14 - It's soo natural and full

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

haha,, i was lookin for that post for the last few few weeks.. yesterday i posted for help in searching for it and found it!! where were u when i needed u man!!haha.. its a great monthly mood chart i have 2 say icon_smile.gif

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

I know; many of you are probably thinking to themselves that I should of read this before I posted. I did. But looking at alot of other people's pics shows some serious growth at month 4-5, the "More impatience/doubt. This didn't work and Frustration (looking in mirror every hour), so I feel like the results will be not too good, although i'm sure i'm jumping the gun, and i'm probably a slower grower than those people in the pics.

Hi John

Of course growth varies from person to person but seldom do we see a substantial amount of growth at 4 months ( substantial is a relative term of course). Rather this is really the doldrums as it is right before the sprouting. Generally, the top of the frustration point is at 4-5 months. there are always exceptions to the rule and of course we always have the later grower as well. If you think from a helicopeter view, this gives you an idea of the feelings involved in the recovery preocess as opposed to exact dates. As we see, you fit right into this timeline

Be patient is the key message and dont let your mind get the best of you

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

John,

No matter what you know or have read, impatience and doubt is normal after hair transplantation. It's easy to worry when we see some patients have significant growth at only 4 months and we are one month ahead with very little growth.

One of the purposes of this forum is to offer support and encouragement for those who are going through their hair restoration journey. Never hesitate to pose your questions/concerns and allow others to surround you and encourage you.

Cheers,

Bill

For someone to be thinking at 4.5 months time that their ht is a failure is absurd. If your growth is just starting at 3-4 months, why would you expect to give final judgment? Also, that pinkness you have does not make for an attractive look which also will through off your appearance. Mine didn't fade completely till month 7 or 8, and the ht was still coming in at that time. TRust me John, you are not alone. Most of us have your growth at 5 months. Relax, you went to one of the top 5 ht docs in the world. There's nothing more you can do but relax and whatch that hair grow...you should be excited!

MRJB, Very funny and true!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I should add , PATIENCE to all months up to 14

To pass judgement before 14 months or so is just foolish and just causes undue stress on oneself

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

That is probably one of the most useful posts I've seen on here. Thanks for posting it. I have been off of the forum for a while to let my HT just sit and "cook" and give it time to show some results. The majority of people on this forum indicated their most amount of growth took place in the seventh month. Well tomorrow makes seven months since my HT. I must say I have mixed feelings, but your post gave me new hope. I definitely have hair where I was once slick bald but it is nowhere near what I would call cosmetically acceptable.

My own hair is very thick and the area where I had the HT is nowhere near as thick as my own hair. It looks really off balance which is one of the things I said before my procedure I did not want to happen. My doctor said it is called the "Bozo Effect" and it would not happen. I wear a hair piece and it will not come off until my real hair is to a point where I believe it is cosmetically acceptable for all to see. Plus I think if I took it off at this point and people saw how sparse my hair was it wouldn't speak well for hair transplants and I intend on telling everyone that I had a HT.

When I look at my profile in the mirror to the side it looks really, really sparse. It looks like I am basically bald with a sprinkling of hair over my scalp. The scalp it totally visible. I had 2520 grafts placed on the front third of my head. In May I have an appointment to go back for a second procedure. By then I need to decide whether those remaining grafts will go in the front to thicken up what I've already had done or if they will go on the crown. If I base my decision on what the results look like now then I will be using them to thicken up the front and use a small crown hair piece for the crown. I'd love for the grafts to go on the crown so I can be done with the hair piece. Hopefully in the next three months there will be some major changes that will allow me to put them on the crown. Believe it or not I still have a spot on the upper left part of my head that is still somewhat sore and numb.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Great Post Mrjb,

i think i should feel pretty lucky as i would say I am just past 3months but have good growth already and getting comments already... i am sure have heard them before, like

"something is different"

"have u lost weight"

"have u changed your hair style"

a colleague at work even joked " he must have had a HT"...if only he knew LOL

anyway, i am gonna save this post for next 15 months just for comparison :-)

really liked it!

FS