Nioxin Confusion - Advice needed

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for some time now for info regarding Nioxin. From what I've read most who use it seem to have positive things to say about it whether it's for DHT inhibiting effects or purely cosmetic.

I'd like to give it a try but there are so many different Nioxin products that I don't know where to start.

I was hoping somebody more knowledgeable than myself could point me in the right direction as to which product and which system to use. I have fairly average to thick hair on top, thinning at the front.

I've been using Nizoral twice weekely and taking Quarter Proscar daily for 6 months. I've noticed increased thinning around the hairline "Norwood 2 (and a bit)" in the last couple of weeks but I'm hoping this is just a shedding phase.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for some time now for info regarding Nioxin. From what I've read most who use it seem to have positive things to say about it whether it's for DHT inhibiting effects or purely cosmetic.

I'd like to give it a try but there are so many different Nioxin products that I don't know where to start.

I was hoping somebody more knowledgeable than myself could point me in the right direction as to which product and which system to use. I have fairly average to thick hair on top, thinning at the front.

I've been using Nizoral twice weekely and taking Quarter Proscar daily for 6 months. I've noticed increased thinning around the hairline "Norwood 2 (and a bit)" in the last couple of weeks but I'm hoping this is just a shedding phase.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Hi BD

Nioxin will not regrow hair or stop hairloss. The only items to do that are Propecia and minoxidil.. You might want to add Nizoral about 2-3 times a week as it has shown to increase hair count ..

Nioxin may be a good shampoo but it will not regro hair or stop fallout

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi BD

They do make good shampoos but are quite pricey .. Just use the shampoo suited for yor type of hair.. Ask the salesperson

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Yes, Nioxin is great shampoo (and conditioner) but it will not regrow hair. It does say on the package that it "helps remove toxin's like DHT"...........key word here is "like" DHT. Slick marketing, it doesn't claim specifically to remove DHT, just toxins "like" DHT.

As for the type to use, just go to the Nioxin website and read the differences. Thinning or non-thinning hair, thick hair, colored hair..........it's pretty easy to choose the category you fall into. Unfortunately mine was for thinning hair icon_frown.gif, oh yeah, thinning, colored hair......I hate turning gray icon_cool.gif.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks a lot Hairbank and Mrjb,

I'm actually living in Ireland and believe it or not you can't buy Nioxin in stores here. I've ordered it online from a UK company. I bought system 1 which is for slightly thinning hair.

On a side note I've been a visitor to this forum for about a year now. I was fortunate enough to stumble across this site while in search for a miracle cure for baldness and it was here I discovered the wonderful world of propecia which I feel has slowed down my hair loss considerably.

I'd have posted earlier but most of the questions I had were pretty much covered and up until I began to see propecia working for me I had very little to contribute.

I'm thinking of taking some pictures (should have done this when I started on Propecia) and starting a weblog to document my experience with hair loss. I've noticed most of the people on here are 30 + and I thought it would be helpful to some younger guys (I'm 26) to see a weblog of somebody in their age group who has started on medication, with a view to the possibility of a hair transplant in the future. I'm fairly reluctant to consider it at the moment or any time soon. I'd much prefer to take it slowly and make the best decision possible with the information and technology that's available to me when the time comes that the benefits of a HT outweigh the risks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and let me add that I truly appreciate the posts of the regular contributors to this forum and Pat for setting it up. I think it's a fantastic community with no agenda but to help others through their follicular battles.

I'm fairly certain that without the posts and contribitions here, many people (myself included) would have made some terrible decisions.

Thanks for your input BD..

This site wasnt around when I was 26 icon_redface.gif

Fortuntely I waited it out until I was about 35or so until I had my first HT..

BUT I did waste a hellofa lot of money on a bunch of these "miracle" cures..

The good news is I can help others where I goofed up.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

balderdash,

Glad to hear Propecia has worked for you, my friend. If you can take pics of your progress on Propecia you'll be helping tons of guys and I highly encourage you to do it. Too many twentysomethings come here bent on a HT and skip the meds altogether. You're to be commended for the sensible approach you're taking. Hat's off to you..........uh, wait, I don't wear hats anymore since I have more hair icon_biggrin.gif.......anyway, I salute you!!

I'm with ya, JOBI.........I'd love to have had this site at age 26 (14 yrs ago) and been able to try Fin before HT's. I stumbled across this site about 1 month prior to HT #1 at a NW 4/5.........my ship had almost already sunk!! Your last sentence says it all and is why I keep hangin' around!

Peace,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 months later...

balderdash,

I used to use Nioxin while in the US, and was happy with the results. I currently live at Dublin, Ireland and am unable to locate it here. Can you pl help with the UK website from where you ordered nioxin thinning systems, please.

Also, can you pl share your results with Propecia. Is it known to have any side effects. Have heard that minoxidyl does..

I've been using Revita for about 2 months.

A very good shampoo with all of the supposed DHT blockers. it is much milder than Nizoral

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!