shock loss (need info!!!)

Hi I was wondering what where the chances of shock loss if you wanted to place grafts withing the hairline (grafts would be surrounded by pre-exisiting hair). What can minimize this from happening and is this shock loss permanant?

also is it always necessary shave the area that will be receiving the new grafts?

Hi I was wondering what where the chances of shock loss if you wanted to place grafts withing the hairline (grafts would be surrounded by pre-exisiting hair). What can minimize this from happening and is this shock loss permanant?

also is it always necessary shave the area that will be receiving the new grafts?

A good surgeon can minimize shockloss and it is said shaving does make it easier for them to see the angle the existing hairs are growing from and thus match it with transplanted follicles meaning less transection of pre existing hairs.

HT 2006/7

Shock loss of healthy hair (not miniturizied) usually always grows back normally unless the follicle was effected by DHT when it might be killed off prematurely by the shock.Not all doctors require you to shave your head.

HT 2006/7

Guest Brad Limmer, MD

Sonia:

Shock loss is typically caused by trauma.

So doing anything to minimize it will decrease the chances of experiencing it. Using small recipient sites (0.6 - 0.9mm), matching the angle and direction of existing hair and not over planting an area are probably the three most importanat rules to follow.

As for shaving the hair, I do not. However, if you do shave, you obviously will not note any shed because hair is short. This does not mean shedding does not occur, only that it goes unnoticed.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac