Toppik questions...

I am going to start using Toppik and just had a few questions to make sure I'm doing everything right. First off, is there any trick to matching the color right. Like for example, I have ash brown hair, what would match best? Also, I'm going to be covering an area of about 4 inches by 4 inches on the crown. How many taps should I do to cover this area? And lastly, how far away from my head do I hold it while applying? Thanks guys, look forward to hearing what you have to say.

danger

I am going to start using Toppik and just had a few questions to make sure I'm doing everything right. First off, is there any trick to matching the color right. Like for example, I have ash brown hair, what would match best? Also, I'm going to be covering an area of about 4 inches by 4 inches on the crown. How many taps should I do to cover this area? And lastly, how far away from my head do I hold it while applying? Thanks guys, look forward to hearing what you have to say.

danger

you just have to experiment with it, in the crown area it's simple, along the hairline you have to be more careful or it will look obvious. Seeing as how you have only crown balding you should have great results.

Make sure you get the fiberhold spray with it, I haven't found anything comparable to it yet. Let me know on here how it works out for you.

Baldness is masculine. Jason Statham would look really gay with hair.

yeah, i've used toppik for the past 3 years now. but i would only use it for special occasions (parties, reunions, going out on the town). Now, i use it every morning. it really adds alot of coverage. i highly recommend it.

wolfmansbrudda: what are you in the NW scale? how long have you been on propecia? have you seen any results in the temple area?

keep in touch. icon_smile.gif

Hey Tex. I'm about a Norwood 5a. Have thin coverage everywhere but the temples. Toppik really works great for me (as I'm sure you've read).

I've been on Propecia for a month and just recently started Proscar (because it's cheaper). I'm sure it's too early to see any results in the way of regrowth, but I have yet to find ANY hair on my hands when I wash my hair or check my pillow in the morning (I used to wash my hair and find tons of hair all over my hands when I washed, now, NOTHING). I'm wondering kind of because I know you're supposed to shed SOME hair, but I'm not even seeing the normal shedding. I hope this is a good thing.

wolfmansbro,

i'm gonna see if i can get on propecia. do you just go to your primary care physician and ask for propecia? is it that straightforward?

Tex,

You need to go to your doc and get a prescription and then get it at any pharmacy. Your probably best to go with the Merck brand as there are some generic brands out there and Merck being the real thing.

danger

Tex, yeah I went to my regular doctor to get my Propecia prescription (I had my Toppik in and I had to tell him I had it in cause he couldn't tell). I got 3 months prescription for Propecia but then I ended up getting a prescription for proscar (which is the same thing but cheaper).

Some doctors won't give you a prescription for Proscar because it's not technically for hair loss but it's the same thing as Propecia. Propecia comes in tablets containing 1mg of finasteride, Proscar comes in tablets containing 5mg of finasteride. What you do with the Proscar tablet is cut it up into 4 small pieces and walla! You basically have propecia at a fraction of the cost.

I just got done showering a few minutes ago and could not find any shed hair anywhere. Score!

i'm gonna go into the docs office without toppik on and with my hair combed back (exposing my temples). this way he could just write me up quick! icon_cool.gif

another quick question: do you guys use gel to thicken up your hair? i do, it makes a world of difference.

keep in touch.

Danger,

I agree with all the comments made so far about Toppik, but I do have an additional tip for you. If you shampoo with Suave Professionals, use Couvre (sold by the Toppik company) as a base, use Toppik, and spray your hair with Aqua Net, you will not BELIEVE the results. The Suave and Aqua Net are both dirt cheap (MUCH cheaper than the Toppik products and sold at Wal-mart) and are incredible. The Toppik / Couvre combo gives a flawless effect. Like most of us, I look closely at my hair in the morning to make sure that nobody will be able to tell that I am using camoflauge (sp?). So far, I have fooled everyone--even my family. One last thing about Toppik--it washes out of your pillowcase, clothes, etc. If you use the hairspray, you really shouldn't have any problems anyway.

Anyone have a problem with Toppik or Couvre when applying it immediately after dabbing on Minoxidil? Minox is a real pain for me since I started the concealers.

Thanks Don! I have actually read a previous post of yours stating what you do to achieve good results.Price is an issue for me, and am wondering how big of a difference does using Couvre as a base make? If it's not, "night and day", I think I'll just use the Toppik. Also, if the area I want to cover is about 4 inches by 4 inches, how many taps should I do? And also, how far away do I hold the Toppik? Thanks guys, and I hope that this topic is helping more people than just myself.

danger

Danger,

Glad I could help. Couvre costs $20, but the tube lasts a long time--you don't have to use very much. I wouldn't call it a night and day difference, but I do think that it makes a considerable difference. It really depends on the color of your hair and skin. I have black hair and light-colored skin, so there is a HUGE contrast. The Couvre darkens my scalp,which makes the hairloss less noticeable. If you have light-colored hair, the Couvre wouldn't make that much of a difference. If you can only afford one of the products, buy the Toppik. When I first used Toppik I was STUNNED by the results. For me, it really was a miracle.

How much should you use? That depends, too, on the contrast of your hair / skin, the amount of hairloss, and the thickness of your hair. The best thing to do is to hold the container about an inch to two inches from your head and give it a few taps. Then, gently pat your head and comb the area. If you are not satisfied with the effect, try a few more taps. I do agree with the other guys when they said that too much Toppik can ruin the illusion. The crown is easy to cover, but the hairline is a little tricky. I don't use any in my hairline anymore, but that's only because my HT grew in and looks pretty good in the front. I hope this helps. icon_cool.gif

Scarymemo,

Minoxidil is a pain. I stopped using it a while ago. I only use Proscar now. My advice is to use the Couvre, dry your hair, use the minoxidil, let your hair air dry for about ten minutes, then add the Toppik. Good luck.

I've been using Dermatch and/or Toppik. Dermatch fills it in perfectly, and I even went to a swimming party with it in and I had no problems. The only thing about it is that it can make your hair look kind of dull or powdery. I use some hair spray and even a little old school Tres Flores to add some shine and to keep it tame.