How many have suffered Post-Op Redness of the scalp?

This is just from observation, but I get the sense with dense packing that scalps are very red for a long time. Have people had this experience? Does it relate to healing? Whereas sometimes I see transplant patients with not as many grafts and their scalp color is consistent with their skin tones...

Any comments?

HGc

This is just from observation, but I get the sense with dense packing that scalps are very red for a long time. Have people had this experience? Does it relate to healing? Whereas sometimes I see transplant patients with not as many grafts and their scalp color is consistent with their skin tones...

Any comments?

HGc

I experienced the post op redness and so do most guys who have a light complexion. Nobody noticed the redness but me, it really wasn't all that noticeable unless you were close and focusing on it. It probably looked more like a slight sun or wind burn.

I am a fair-skinned, blond man who had 2300+ grafts transplanted 5 and a half months ago now (Dr Shapiro), and I can tell you, for me, I had quite noticeable redness/pinkness stretch out well into the 3rd month. On occasion it would be there - slightly - in the fourth, but now is completely gone (thank GOD!).

Luckily, wearing a cap isn't out of place with my work, plus I get to work from home most days as well, so this didn't force any unwanted explanations with anyone. I just never left the house without my cap! Home was the only place I was able to "be pink", and not have a care about it. My wife was a great help through that!

If you are fair-skinned, my advice to you would to be to get a nice tan before surgery (no sun-burn!), and keep that tan going with Clinique's self tanning solution, afterwards, as you mustn't sit in the sun for at least 3 months post-op (preferably a little longer). Tanned skin will hide most, if not all, of this redness, so you CAN avoid it. I know what to do now should I go back for more.

Hope this helps... as much of a PAIN IN THE ASS as all that WAS, it was still very, very much worth it!

HarryLemon

Thanks HL for discussing your experience. It was helpful. Congrats on having it successfully resolved. My concern wass that it actually lasts and repigments the scalp. You'rethe 2nd person to mention Clinique!

Everyone here seems to have a wife to help them through the dark days. Gotta get me one!

HG

Hareguy,

My redness was also gone after about 3 1/2 months,

along with the ingrown hairs. I let everyone that I knew that I was having the procedure. After hiding my previous work with hairspray for over 20 years, this was a big relief. When outside, I wore a hat for protection.

When around people that I worked with, they got used to my post op appearance.

Of course this can vary. I've seen post op photos where there seemed to be no redness after only a few days, usually with patients with dark skin and hair. I've read where some have it for many months beyond 3 1/2. The bottom line is, it does go away.

GOOD LUCK.

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

Being fair skinned, and having tiny, pitting, type scars, I have a certain redness that I believe to be permanent. It's not always apparent, but I can definitely see it when there's overhead lighting. I've seen it in other patients photos occasionaly. I also noticed it one time when I was snow skiing and I took off my hat. My scars had become more red, and more obvious. I will try to find a photo to show what I'm talking about. It is different from the post -op redness. My last procedure was done in '96,so I think the recipient sites are finer now. Maybe this wont be an issue for anyone now.