Any Bad Results for Dr Ron Shapiro in MN??

Dart

Hi!,

I know that this is a pro HT site and pro Shapiro at that. However, is there anyone that has had work done by Dr Ron Shapiro in MN that wasn't satisfied and why? (I have an appointment with him already but needless to say I'm extremely nervous) Shock/Scar/etc...any information would be appreciated. Please!! icon_eek.gif

Hi!,

I know that this is a pro HT site and pro Shapiro at that. However, is there anyone that has had work done by Dr Ron Shapiro in MN that wasn't satisfied and why? (I have an appointment with him already but needless to say I'm extremely nervous) Shock/Scar/etc...any information would be appreciated. Please!! icon_eek.gif

Hey Dart,

I too am contemplating a 1st HT with Shapiro, and I met with him and spoke with his staff too. I am worried about the exact same things as you. However - I woudl put to rest the scar issue as Dr. shapiro did make me feel like this was not an issue to worry about as their scars are very fine and heal well. I trust him on that. No- shock fallout is the concern, but one that he really cant completely control as it is nature's reaction to the process. sure- he'll work slow and careful but who knows how you'll react? In any case the best thing to do is continue to ask people about their experiences, and share info that way. talk to former patients, maybe even try and meet them in person.

let me know if you come up with anything.

good luck my friend.

D

I have heard that anesthesia and blood loss alone can cause shock loss the day of a surgury up to 8 weeks or so. Even existing transplanted hair is not guaranteed to never fall out temporarily.

I only have very good things to say about Dr. Shapiro, his staff, the experience, and so far the results (4-months post opp).

I wrote a detailed description of my day with him. In short, he corrected some sketchy work up top and with a scar that I had from a previous surgery. Now, you can no longer tell I've had anything done.

Put your mind at ease if you go to Dr. Shapiro - he is a class act. I'm very glad that Pat started this site so I was able to find him.

MR

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way to predict if you will have shock loss or not, and how bad it will be if you do. It varies tremendously by individual, but in most cases it grows back. I have had two procedures and I didn't notice any shock loss, if I had any at all. I was lucky I guess. The bottom line is that you should only have the surgery if you are willing to take the risk of shock loss. I wish there was a more optimistic answer, but this is the reality of it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gary,

what is shock loss, can you explain please!!

thanks

WebPro

There is no way to predict if you will have shock loss or not, and how bad it will be if you do. It varies tremendously by individual, but in most cases it grows back. I have had two procedures and I didn't notice any shock loss, if I had any at all. I was lucky I guess. The bottom line is that you should only have the surgery if you are willing to take the risk of shock loss. I wish there was a more optimistic answer, but this is the reality of it.

Shock loss is a response of the existing hair follicles to the trauma of hair transplant surgery being conducted right next to where the existing hair resides, though it can affect a wider area as well. It is NOT something which affects everyone, and is different for everyone who undergoes a HT.

Generally, if your existing hair was "on the way out" within the next 6 months anyway, and you do suffer a bit of shock loss, then you're unlikely to regrow that hair. But even if your existing hair was doing fine and you lose a bunch of it from shock loss, you will grow it back along with the transplanted hair in 3-4 months time.

I am just over 1 week post op w/ Dr Shapiro and am not (knock on wood) suffering from any shock loss after a 2300+ FU transplant...yet! :-)

Sorry to sound boring and all, but in keeping with this post's original subject: there is NOTHING I can say negatively about my experience with Dr Shapiro, his team, and their work. I had a great time and I got a great HT. (read my post from Nov 8 on the HT experiences board)