transplant methods

could anyone tell me which is the more advanced method the choi or the way ron shapiro does it or are they the same thing excuse my ignorance im new thanks.

could anyone tell me which is the more advanced method the choi or the way ron shapiro does it or are they the same thing excuse my ignorance im new thanks.

Specifically what are you wondering about? Is there something small, some special technical difference in the way the two docs you mention perform their HTs?

Excuse MY ignorance, but I'm unfamiliar with Choi. I understand Shapiro does strip excision surgery -- the more common of the two (that I know of) more advanced (verses crap PLUG-COBBLESTONE method) methods (the other being FUE).

Unless I'm missing some smaller technical detail, IF both docs are doing STRIP SURGERY, there's unlikely to be much if any difference in METHOD. There COULD be a difference in the end result depending on the individual surgeon's proficiency/skill, but method itself I doubt it, though I cannot really say.

Having heard nothing of Choi (which could mean nothing, I admit, as I haven't heard of a lot of surgeons), I'd tend to think Shapiro is at least a solid practitioner. The creator of this site had his work done by Shapiro, I believe, and his hair looks just fine.

Others will have more and better things to say. Sorry, but I wanted at least to say that I think the BIG difference technique-wise is between strip surgery and FUE surgery, otherwise there's no important difference between surgeons except for their personal skill level (which, again, IS a BIG deal).

Pic icon_cool.gif

thanks for your reply pic the choi method is done with a needle and never gets touched by hand it is put in like an injection what i wondered is if choi is the latest way of transplant would shapiro be doing it.i agree dr shapiros work is very impressive.

Pic,

you mentioned that shapiro does the strip surgery extraction. that is only 1/2 of the HT procedure. the other is the actual placing of the grafts.

in my opinion, the lateral slit method cannot be beat. but that's my opinion. I urge you to do a search on lateral slit and research for yourself.

The Choi implanter is not a new device. I think DHI in Greece may be one of the few clinics that uses it. Other clinics looked into it, and eventually dismissed it as uneccessary or even gimmicky. It's supposed to streamline the process by automating it, but some clinics found the device was more trouble than it was worth... it actually took up more time than saving time. I suppose if DHI still uses it, they find it useful in some way, but it certainly isn't necessary.

I also object to calling it a "no-touch" device. Look, those grafts don't "dissect themselves" and they don't show up in the Choi implanter on their own. So how is that "no touch"?

I'm not saying the Choi implanter is bad, but I also don't think it will give you an advantage over a clinic with lots of experience doing high-quality transplants. Clinics doing high-end transplants are extremely rare, and items like the Choi should not be a factor in your decision. It's not going to enhance your appearance when you're through. If anything, it is supposed to speed up the procedure, which is to the benefit of the clinic, and which is not really a factor in quality of your results. If anything, I would like a clinic to slow down and take their time, not ram-rod me through (not that the Choi device allows for that, I'm speaking hypothetically).

I know NHI was looking into the Choi implanter and the carousel, and they eventually gave up on it... more trouble than it was worth. Look here for some general information on the Choi implanter, carousel, etc: http://www.newhair.com/fut_transplantation/automated_devices.asp Keep in mind that the page was written a while back, when NHI was investigating the Choi pen, and thought it might be useful. Since then, they have dismissed it and continued to use the typical methods (device-free).

Anyway, these are my impressions of the Choi implanter and the No-touch method. If you decide to use DHI, that's your choice, but don't expect anything magical to happen as a result of this Choi implanter.

arfy thanks for your reply i appreciate your comments and i take on board what you say.people like yourself have more knowledge on these kind of things than someone like myself thats why i ask these questions in the hope i can find something that will appeal to me.thanks to everyone who contributes to my question.