Propecia or transplant?

I really want a hair transplant !!!!

i'm 21 years old. my friends said that i'm losing my hair since my senior year in high school and now i'm in my last year in college. i kept loosing little by little over the years. my hair loss is not really noticable yet but starting to be. i realized from reading other messages that i might be too young to get a HT. but i'm really worried and it really bothers me alot. i dont really want to take drugs everyday. i want something permanent. i dont really want to wait. what do you think i should do?? and if i want to get a HT, where should i go?? i live in boston and it's hard for me to travel to other areas to get a HT. what do you think about MHR (medicalhairrestoration.com)??

[This message was edited by Pat - Publisher of this site on August 21, 2002 at 03:50 PM.]

I really want a hair transplant !!!!

i'm 21 years old. my friends said that i'm losing my hair since my senior year in high school and now i'm in my last year in college. i kept loosing little by little over the years. my hair loss is not really noticable yet but starting to be. i realized from reading other messages that i might be too young to get a HT. but i'm really worried and it really bothers me alot. i dont really want to take drugs everyday. i want something permanent. i dont really want to wait. what do you think i should do?? and if i want to get a HT, where should i go?? i live in boston and it's hard for me to travel to other areas to get a HT. what do you think about MHR (medicalhairrestoration.com)??

[This message was edited by Pat - Publisher of this site on August 21, 2002 at 03:50 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my hair loss is not really noticable yet but starting to be.

You are not bald enough for a hair transplant yet. Lucky you! If you are REALLY lucky, you will never reach that point. A hair transplant now could be disasterous for you.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i dont really want to take drugs everyday. i want something permanent. i dont really want to wait. Hair transplants do not "prevent baldness". Even if you do decide to get a hair transplant, you would be smart to get on propecia immediately (and maybe Minoxidil). There is simply NOT enough donor hair to cover a completely bald head. In other words, it is crucial that you hang on to as much of your "natural hair" as possible. Whether you get a HT or not, you need to maintain that hair. You can probably accomplish that with Propecia and Minoxidil.

There is at least one guy on this website who recommends a HT to every new guy here, no matter how young they are. However, there are a whole bunch of top doctors who have gone on record stating that guys in their twenties are usually not good candidates, unless they are already pretty bald. That doesn't sound like your situation. You sound like someone who should be using Propecia.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i'm really worried and it really bothers me alot. Join the club. Everybody who looks at this site feels the same way. The answer is NOT to get all desperate about it, and rush into something.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what do you think about MHR (medicalhairrestoration.com)?? I compare them to McDonald's, because of their massive advertising campaigns they have "millions served", however just like there are better hamburgers than what McDonalds sells, you can also do much better than MHR for a HT. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> really want a transplant!!!... i want something permanent. i dont really want to wait.Dude, right now you totally sound like a lamb headed to the slaughter. You are such a cherry waiting to be picked. Before you decide "really want a transplant!!!" why don't you spend some time learning as much about HT as you possibly can? Maybe you will realize that you are NOT a good candidate yet, and realize that MHR is NOT where you should be spending your money.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what do you think i should do??I think you should get on Propecia and forget about HT for a while.

• Administrators

Yes, I aggree you do not sound like a hair transplant candidate at your age and stage of thinning. I also strongly advise you give Propecia a try. It works especially well in those who are just starting to loose their hair. According to a recent study, 80 % of men using virtually stop and or reverse their hair loss. Of course, the study was funded by Merk, the makers of Propecia. But over the years I've heard plenty of success stories. Propecia will buy you time while even better drugs/options become available.

Best wishes, Pat

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

thanx for all your help icon_smile.gif

this is what i said last time

-------------------------------------------------

my hair loss is not really noticable yet but starting to be.

-------------------------------------------------

but this might not really be accurate. when gel/mousse, i still look ok. my close friends start to tell me that i'm loosing it. but after taking a shower, i look pretty bald. maybe the right statement to say is that it's noticeable, but it's not really bad yet. my hairline is still good but it's kinda thin rite behind it (maybe that's why it looks ok from the front) it's pretty hard to explain....but i'm prety sure that given a few more years, i'll will be in class 6 icon_frown.gif

i dont know how to classify myself to the norwood. when my hair is wet, if i comb all my hair forward, it looks ok, but if i comb it backward...i look pretty bald on top.

i met with MHR a few days ago, and the consultant put me in norwood 6!!! maybe my thinning pattern is like a 6. they sound pretty ok to me. but i know that i shouldnt rush...so i think i'm probably gonna meet with DiStefano medical group next week and ask for their opinion also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i'm prety sure that given a few more years, i'll will be in class 6

About 80% of the guys who use propecia can halt their hairloss in their tracks.

Don't listen to me. Even the guy who runs this website thinks you should use Propecia and not go for the plastic surgery. Of course, some people just don't listen.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i met with MHR a few days ago, and the consultant put me in norwood 6!!! maybe my thinning pattern is like a 6. they sound pretty ok to me. Here's a hint for you... EVERY clinic you visit is going to "seem okay" to you. They're ALL going to seem "really nice" and "caring" and seem like they are real experts at what they do. That doesn't mean they are doing excellent HTs though. And if you settle for anything less than EXCELLENCE you will regret it!

As I already said, though, you are too young and not bald enough yet for a HT. Of course, I'm sure you will find a clinic who will be happy to take your money...

It always blows my mind that there are some guys who are not willing to take a once-a-day medication for prevention, but would rather let themselves go bald and undergo multiple surgeries instead. It's a crazy world.

i decide to hold off on the idea of HT for a while and give propecia a chance, hope it will work on me!!! icon_smile.gif

and i'm gonna keep doing the research on HT for the future!!!

i have one more question. i'm still in college and i'm an international student so i dont have a personal doctor. how should i get the prescription for propecia then??

[This message was edited by m5390 on August 18, 2002 at 04:32 PM.]

arfy and pat,

i want to thank you guys for your great advice. without you, i would prolly end up having too early HT and would prolly regret it for the rest of my life

Find a local doctor, maybe a dermatologist. You can do a little research or just pick one out of the phone book who is conveniently located.

Call their office and explain that you are a student and you don't have a local doctor, and you want a prescription for Propecia. Then ask if the doctor would be willing to write a prescription. If yes, schedule an appointment. (I say call and ask first, because I have heard there are some doctors out there who are not informed about Propecia).

If money is an issue, see if there is a walk-in clinic or a free clinic, or even a doctor or clinic associated with your school. Call and ask if they would be willing to write a prescription.

Good luck, hopefully with Propecia you should be able to stop any further loss.

You can actually order Propecia online through many sites without a prescription. Just make sure they are not charging you a "consultation" fee because there are few sites that do. I ordered mine from: www.webpharmacy.com. If you can afford to order three months in advance they offer substantial savings (30 tab/$139)(90 tabs/$289). They ship next day for $18.

Responding to the last post, 30 tab/$139 90 tabs/$289 sounds outrageously high. I "only" pay about $130 for 90 pills on drugstore.com. What gives?

Wow that's amazing that prices on the web could vary so much. I really feel ripped off now. This was my first time buying Propecia and I had been told it was expensive ... I had no idea about the actual price. For those looking to buy online, stay away from MedPharmacy.com.... where the price has been tripled for 30 tabs and doubled for 90 tabs. As the previous poster states, drugstore.com prices are much much (much) lower.