Post Surgery Use Toppik and have short hair (buzz cut)

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and have really started to consider a hair transplant. I am 30 years old and took propecia 10 years ago for a year or so but stopped as I didn't see much improvement. I did start losing hair at 18. I started wearing a hairpiece since 2002 and now am considering getting a transplant done. I went for an initial consultation to SureHair International here in Toronto and they told me that they would give me around 2500 grafts for the front, I have practically no hair left in the front but still have light hair in the back (thin). My question is after the surgery (10 days) can I use something like Toppik to cover the back and transplanted area? This would mean that I will cut the rest of my hair short to match overall (maybe a buzz cut) close enough but not as much to show the scar. My problem is that because I'm wearing a hairpiece people see me with a thick head of hair, ofcourse the surgery will give me much thinner hair but I don't want to go back to work with practically no hair in the front and a lot in the sides and very back. So can I have my hair shorter (not skin short) as much so that the scar isn't seen while I use Toppik? I want to start using Rogaine for the back.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Reptile:

Anyone? icon_smile.gif

Yes, after 10 days you can use Toppik. I'm not familiar with the clinic you mentioned, but I would do my due diligence in selecting a clinic because you'll be living with your results for life. I really like Dr. Nakatsui, http://www.drnakatsui.com/bio.html even though he hasn't posted some examples in a while and he's in Alberta.

I think, even with the Toppik, you'll look quite a bit different when you take the piece off. But, if you can manage to take a couple weeks off the transplant might be undetectable when you go back. Just mention to people that you're going to buzz your head over your 'vacation'.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks Dewayne, I can probably take 2 weeks off, probably work from home a week and take another off. So you're saying 2 weeks post surgery it should be pretty much undetectable when I take off my hairpiece and then use the Toppik and tell everyone it's a new due (buzz cut)?

That will be really good! I've never heard of the clinic you mentioned, are they decent in their work? How much in general are they just out of curiosity?

Originally posted by Reptile:

Thanks Dewayne, I can probably take 2 weeks off, probably work from home a week and take another off. So you're saying 2 weeks post surgery it should be pretty much undetectable when I take off my hairpiece and then use the Toppik and tell everyone it's a new due (buzz cut)?

That will be really good! I've never heard of the clinic you mentioned, are they decent in their work? How much in general are they just out of curiosity?

It depends on how much hair you have to cover it. Mine was undetectable after a week to most people, but my barber noticed something when I went back, but I think it was the large holes from a previous transplant where I had the plugs removed.

If you look above at the tab "Find a Surgeon" you'll find some good ones. Not saying there aren't some good ones not listed here, but these get vetted pretty good by posters

here.

The doctor I linked trained under Dr. Wong from Vancouver, who some consider the world's best. I think the going rate for a world-class clinic is between $9500 - $10,500 for a 2500 graft session.

Also, if you check the tab above titled "Hair loss Web Logs" you can look at some pictures of various stages after the transplant and see how some look at two weeks. You might find someone with a similar hair pattern as your own.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week