Transcected hair

Hi

My question is in regards to what I think is properly termed as transected hair. During a HT on a patient that has thinning hair but is not bald and the Doctor creates the holes for the transplanted hair is there a risk of cutting the folicle of the thinning hair and permanently damaging them creating more future hair loss. If thinning hairs were transected can they recover and regrow hair in the future? Is it best to wait until the balding process is complete before getting a HT so as not to risk damage to exsiting hair? Thank you

Hi

My question is in regards to what I think is properly termed as transected hair. During a HT on a patient that has thinning hair but is not bald and the Doctor creates the holes for the transplanted hair is there a risk of cutting the folicle of the thinning hair and permanently damaging them creating more future hair loss. If thinning hairs were transected can they recover and regrow hair in the future? Is it best to wait until the balding process is complete before getting a HT so as not to risk damage to exsiting hair? Thank you

I read some research by dr. Bernstein about this. While there is always the risk of transecting natives when grafts are planted between hair, the reality is that it is VERY DIFFICULT to kill the native hair. The blade has to cut the follicle in a very specific way to kill it.

I think the issue with transecting hair is much common with FUE procedure where the grafts being moved are not being extracted and planted properly, hence, low growth.

In conclusion, you should not be afraid of getting grafts between native hairs. It used to be a concern for me as well, but I am now convinced that it is not an issue.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

The most reliable way to implant between existing native hair is simply by cutting that hair down to stubble length. When viewed under magnfication these stubble length hairs then act as an indicator as to where the follicles are and at what angle they are laying in the skin. That is the technique I used on this patient who just visited me for a 7 month post surgical visit.

In the before picture you see plenty of native hair. In the after picture all of the native hair is still there, but there are now thick and healthy transplanted hairs growing next to them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

DB-

That's an excellent question.

I noticed that in your post you mentioned the "thinning" hairs. The effects of transplanting hair adjacent to pre-existing hair actually will depend on a number of factors. As Dr. Feller points out, minimizing the localized trauma in the first place should be the primary objective. Observing that concept, there will still be some (minimal) level of trauma experienced by the adjacent pre-existing hair. This is termed "shock-loss" when referring to the phenomena wherein that pre-existing hair is lost as a response to that trauma. Usually that loss will be temporary, except in the case where the hair, as a result of long-term exposure to DHT, is on it's "last legs" so to speak. In that case, those "thinner" hairs may be lost permanently, as they are unable to withstand the minimized trauma. In the course of making the sites, it can be discerned under high magnification which pre-existing hairs are of that "weaker" variety, and, rather than plant around them (as one would for the "healthier" pre-existing hair in that area), the surgoen will create a new recipient site in it's place, anticipating it's final demise as discussed above. This way, the problem you are concerned about is further minimized, i.e., there will be a healthy hair where there otherwise would have been a probable "space".

Again, great question.

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors