propecia / proscar

SETT

Guys,

I encourage you both to use the "find" feature on this site to research this as it's been discussed many times before. Here goes....

Propecia and Proscar have the same active ingredient......Finsteride. Propecia is a 1mg pill, Proscar a 5mg pill. You can either take Propecia or buy Proscar and cut it into 1/4ths with a pill cutter. People do this because Proscar is cheaper. And, you can buy generic Proscar which is even more cost effective.

As for DHT blocking abilities, both Propecia and Proscar block DHT AR II..............only Avodart (Duasteride) blocks both DHT AR II and DHT AR I but it isn't FDA approved for hairloss at this point..........only for BPH (enlarged prostate).

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I went to my doctor to get a prescription for Proscar instead of Propecia - reason being that Proscar is covered by my drug plan.

The doctor thought that there might be an ethics issue as Proscar is for prostate issues - which I don't have. The furthest he would go is to write the prescription for Finasteride and let the pharmacist make the interpretation.

The pharmacist preached the ethics and legal issue as well and said she would have to consult the doctor, which of course resulted in the Proscar NOT being made available. Each party looked at the other and wanted to be taken off the hook, leaving me with the ill colored end of the stick.

Has anyone else run into these doctor/pharmacist issues, and if so, what is the workaround?

Thanks

Bayer

Bayer,

I have run into the exact situation as you. The cost of propecia is exorbitant compared to generic proscar. You can view an earlier post of mine and view other's answers: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...361028403#6361028403

I believe the options are find a physician in your area that will prescribe generic proscar, discuss with the doctor the cost issue and that you will be paying for it out of pocket not through insurance (if that is possible), or find a dermatologist--I heard they are more likely to prescribe generic proscar.

I just began taking Propecia and am looking at those alternatives right now. I wish my buddies were a little more forthcoming here where I live in regards to where and if they take it finasteride?!?

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Bayer,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Since Proscar is FDA approved and available for those experiencing BPH, not sure why the Doc would worry as it's been proven to be safe for you even with a 5mg daily dose. My first HT Doc prescribed Proscar for me and he was the first I turned to so I wasn't aware that it would be a problem. The downside was that my insurance company wanted something from him saying it was for BPH (not hairloss). Since it was for hairloss I had to pay full boat, but buying generic Proscar at $69 for 30 pills, it's pretty cheap for me............especially since I take it every other day instead of daily.

I'd check out some derm's or HT docs that maybe aren't too far from you...........maybe even your General Practioner.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Eman and Hairbank,

Thanks for the info. The common thread from both of your posts is that I can't drive this through my insurance, which was my primary goal. What can I say, I am just trying to be thrifty!

Regarding cost, I am paying $1.71 per mg for Propecia versus Hairbank's $.46 per mg.

It was my General Practitioner who would not give me Proscar prescription since it was not for BPH. I will see if I can book with a derm.

Thanks

Bayer