Rogaine and transplants...

When is it ok to start applying minoxidil to areas that have new grafts? I really want to start with it up top, I know it doesnt do much for temple area loss, but the thing is i have some grafts in the area that i would like to apply it. I am 5 days out now... how much longer?

Also, any input on using minoxidil (rogaine)on all the grafted areas as soon as its ok to do so?

Hi

They say abotu 7 days after surgery to start Rogaine.. I prefer not to use it as it only works on the crown area.. You will lose the grafts regardless

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Rogaine is a vascular stimulator and the idea is that it "jump starts" the new hair growth. I think it would have this effect in the hairline/temples as well as other parts.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi ya

Yeah, maybe but it all sheds anyway so it's a wash in my eyes. I've never used it and probably won't..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanks. I was interested in using it because i am thinning in the crown as well, have not had any work there, and rogaine may help slow/reverse that. I just didnt want to put any up there until I knew for sure it wouldnt harm the new grafts nearby (and figured it may be a good thing for them at some point as well)

So you say 7 days or so huh?

Yes, 7 days is a good time to start. It won't hurt the transplanted hair and will probably help them somewhat. There have been varying opinions on Rogaine. You'll just have to try it and decide for yourself.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

yeah, those varied opinions have kept me off of it all this time, but since reading on this board I have seen a lot of ppl saying it really does/can do SOMETHING, and since I am finally acknowledging that i am thinning in the crown area as well, where Minox is said to be most effective (?), I think its time to add it to the regimine.

Hi

Yes, Good to add for the crown area BUT then you must stay on for life.. For me, one drug for life is enough plus I use Dermatch so it mightbe a challenge. I hear the new Rogaine foam is excellent

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I just ordered a 3 month supply of Rogaine foam on Ebay for $25. When it arrives I'll use it to try and kick start the newly transplanted hairs growth. After the 3 months I'll discontinue use and just stay on Propecia. I'm taking 3000mg of MSM also for the first 4 months. I'll post my results good or bad in 4 months or so, then others can judge if it works or not.

Hi

I don't know about twice as fast about the hair growth with MSM . that seems a bit much ? i'm going to search a little online about it .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hair grows on average of about 1/2 inch a month. There is no scientific "hard" evidence that any product will change this rate of growth. However, I have experienced some change with nutrition and using Low Level Laser Treatments. I am not sure if the rate of growth changes as much as the quality of new hair.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

Originally posted by newhairguy:

When is it ok to start applying minoxidil to areas that have new grafts? I really want to start with it up top, I know it doesnt do much for temple area loss, but the thing is i have some grafts in the area that i would like to apply it. I am 5 days out now... how much longer?

Some docs recommend applying minoxidil to the grafted area to "jump start" the graft growth.

Also, any input on using minoxidil (rogaine)on all the grafted areas as soon as its ok to do so?

I have used Rogaine for about 3 years now. I started propecia about 4 months ago. The back 1/3 of my hair is very thick with a minimal balding spot. The front of my hair was really thin. I had my surgery done on Dec. 19th. Just a tip - I used to (and still do) use rogaine at night and when I wake up I use it kind of like a gel... I work it through my hair and it seems to thicken it up enough to get it to do what I want. When I wash my hair in the morning it is as thin as a feather until I apply the rogaine. I dont let is just air dry, I work with it until it dries and feels thick. This has been perfect since I have had the surgery, to cover the areas. This is one reason no one realzed how much I was losing my hair in the front. I was wondering if anyone else had discovered this use??

7 days after surgery LAGhairRN

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

very cool... gonna try to get some this week. Any opinions on original versus foam?

And... its embarrassing to buy! lol! I went 3 times now and just couldnt bring myself to do it. I'm sure most ppl here were a little sketchy at first but have long since gotten over it? Any stories? Lol!

HA! I feel your pain newhair...I remember having the same aprehensions. I went to a grocery store where they had a U-Scan machine so I didnt have to go through the line. Now, I just have my wife buy it! icon_wink.gif She doesnt care...

Brilliant! That's what i will look for now, the self checkout aisle! icon_cool.gif

I just hope it doesnt come down too much to a self checkout vs. low price... i dont think wal mart or costco have the self check option.

Hi

Cmon guys, it's like buying condoms icon_smile.gif You could always order it online? The main difference between the liquid and foam is the foam is less greasy.I have not used the Rogaine as it is a pain to apply everyday and you have to use it for life . I am already on propecia

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Actually, the super Wal Marts do, and the Krogers. (In TN) I am sure they will eventually be everywhere. Not to discourage you but...I remember a couple of times the alarm would go off as I exited the store! icon_wink.gif) Believe me...that was embarrassing the first couple of times! icon_wink.gifI guess there is some tag on the box that sometimes makes it go off...not sure. If my wife did not buy it I would probably just buy it online. Even so...these days with breast surgery and botox and all of the other crap that people do, I do not see what the big deal is. I think before long, talking about HT's and Rogaine and propecia will be common conversation. People are constantly trying to improve themselves.