causes of complete transplant failure

I had a prior transplant in which virtually all the transplanted grafts were growing in by three months. However, I had a second transplant at the same clinic, and after 6 months literally none of the transplanted hairs has begun to grow. I am assuming (for the sake of this question at least), that the second transplant is a complete failure.

I followed the same pre and post op instructions and procedures in both cases, and I assume that the failure must relate to technical issues with the transplant. Since it seems unlikely that all of the grafts could have been placed incorrectly, I'm assuming there must have been some other problem.

Is is possible that in excising the donor strip, all the follicles could have been damaged in some way? My recollection is that a different technique was used to excise the strip the second time. The first time I was lying down on my stomach and the second time sitting up.

What other causes of complete transplant failure are possible?

Thanks.

Shannon, I'm not a doctor but I thought that I would reply to your post to let you know that you are not the only one that this has happened to. 13 months ago, I had a follow-up procedure which was supposed to thicken up the front 1/3 of my head just behind the hairline. I have either gotten no results or less than 10% survival. I too would like to know what happened. My best guess is that the "technician" butchered the grafts when separating them. Here's the funny part. The clinic (MHR) told me at 5 month and 8 month check-ups that I just needed to wait for results to come in. Then at the 1 year check-up, the doctor said the grafts grew in but that I have continued to lose hair.

At 6 months you should be getting some results. I hope that you get some results or at least find out what happened.

• 1 month later...

I had a third procedure, and not only did the hair not grow, but all my other hair fall out! Imagine my dismay... I think in rare cases there are strange phenonmenon that they don't understand that we just end up being unlucky enough to experience. One thing that's for sure is I am using Minox for life, and probably Avodart too, to help perserve what I've labored long and hard to obtain.

I too have had horrible results from (MHR) it was my first procedure. I was thinning in the front and had a temple resecion. Not only did'nt the grafts grow except in the low (three finger ) hairline. It has accelerated my hairloss and I am loosing hair all over my head. My scalp is red and irratated and I am going bald as a result. I made the worst mistake of my life going in to get more hair and ending up a mess because of their lack of concern for the patient.Their poor quality and quack doctors have created a living hell for me.I was unaware of their terrible reputation at the time but they surely have earned it.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

• 3 weeks later...

What clinic is MHR? Doesn't sound like they do very good work. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it'll save others from going thru the same thing and force clinics to re-evaluate and improve their technical measures.

I too have had horrible results from (MHR) it was my first procedure. I was thinning in the front and had a temple resecion. Not only did'nt the grafts grow except in the low (three finger ) hairline. It has accelerated my hairloss and I am loosing hair all over my head. My scalp is red and irratated and I am going bald as a result. I made the worst mistake of my life going in to get more hair and ending up a mess because of their lack of concern for the patient.Their poor quality and quack doctors have created a living hell for me.I was unaware of their terrible reputation at the time but they surely have earned it.