Anybody noticed transplanted hair thinning?

I've noticed that some of my transplanted hair has thinned in addition to some of my original hair. Has anybody else experienced any of their transplanted hair thinning and falling out over a course of a few years or more?

My first HT was about 3 years ago, my second about 1.5 years ago, and my third just over 2 months ago.

I think some of my recent (in the last two months) hair loss is due to shock from HT 3. However, I have noticed some thinning of the transplanted hair before HT 3. I have also noticed considerable hair loss during shampooing but I think it may have been my original hair that was on the top of my head just in front of the bald spot.

I am in great health (been working out 4x/week continually (non-stop) since 1983 with 30 minutes of cardio and 2 hrs of weight lifting each day), never smoked, don't take drugs, drink maybe 1 beer per month, take vitamins and eat farily good. I don't think I have any health issues that could be causing hair loss. The only thing I can think of that may be causing my hair to thin is that I have been under incredible stress resulting in constant worrying the last 1 and a half years due to not being able to find a job. Do stress and worrying cause hair loss? If so, when I find a job and the stress if gone, will the transplanted hair that fell out due to stress come back?

Kramer

I've noticed that some of my transplanted hair has thinned in addition to some of my original hair. Has anybody else experienced any of their transplanted hair thinning and falling out over a course of a few years or more?

My first HT was about 3 years ago, my second about 1.5 years ago, and my third just over 2 months ago.

I think some of my recent (in the last two months) hair loss is due to shock from HT 3. However, I have noticed some thinning of the transplanted hair before HT 3. I have also noticed considerable hair loss during shampooing but I think it may have been my original hair that was on the top of my head just in front of the bald spot.

I am in great health (been working out 4x/week continually (non-stop) since 1983 with 30 minutes of cardio and 2 hrs of weight lifting each day), never smoked, don't take drugs, drink maybe 1 beer per month, take vitamins and eat farily good. I don't think I have any health issues that could be causing hair loss. The only thing I can think of that may be causing my hair to thin is that I have been under incredible stress resulting in constant worrying the last 1 and a half years due to not being able to find a job. Do stress and worrying cause hair loss? If so, when I find a job and the stress if gone, will the transplanted hair that fell out due to stress come back?

Kramer

Hello Kramer,

Edit ---> I just noticed you had an HT about 2 months ago...I thought your last HT was 1.5 years ago for some reason, I misread. So therefore...it's very possible you are experiencing shedding or some temporary shockloss, even at 2 months post op. I know I started experiencing temp shockloss at 6-10 weeks and then it started growing back around 10.5 weeks to 12 weeks. Feel free to check out my picture pages listed in my signature to see pictures of the progression.

I've kept my original post below just in case other readers can benefit. The below would apply for people who have not just experienced an HT in recent months.

---

Transplanted hair shouldn't be falling out, though there could be several factors at play here...I'll suggest a few of them to you and also post questions too:

1. Are you using Nizoral shampoo? I know I had some problems making my hair very dry and appearing thinner than it actually was. Overuse of this shampoo or any heavily medicated dandruff shampoo can kill your hair. If this is the case, stop using Nizoral or any heavily medicated shampoo or cut it down significantly

2. Did you start taking Propecia, Minoxodil or any other form of medication? Shedding here is normal...the hair will start to grow back in about 3 months (this is true for Propecia and Minox...however, check with your medical doctor about any other medication)

3. You could be experiencing shedding (either due to the above) or which is a normal part of any hair life cycle. See the below post and look for Spex's response. He did a great job explaining the shedding process.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=151062

4. The only other possibility I can see if you are REALLY losing transplanted hair that will not grow back is if your HT doc extracted donor hair outside of the safe zone. What that basically means is that this donor hair was in an area that could be affected by Dehydro-testosterome (DHT). So I'll ask it this way...have you started losing any hair around the strip scar? (Did you have strip surgery?) If you had FUE, are you losing any hair in the donor area where the FUE hairs were taken?

I hope this helps direct you in the right place.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

1. Are you using Nizoral shampoo? I know I had some problems making my hair very dry and appearing thinner than it actually was. Overuse of this shampoo or any heavily medicated dandruff shampoo can kill your hair. If this is the case, stop using Nizoral or any heavily medicated shampoo or cut it down significantly

I have recently started using both Nizoral (about 2 times per week) as well as head and shoulders on most of the other days I am not using Nizoral. I have been doing this for about 3 months. I read in Men's health that using these shampoos helps in hair loss. Now I'm not so sure...

Do you have any links that have info. on this?

2. Did you start taking Propecia, Minoxodil or any other form of medication? Shedding here is normal...the hair will start to grow back in about 3 months (this is true for Propecia and Minox...however, check with your medical doctor about any other medication)

Been taking Propecia and Minoxidal for years. I've just switched back to 2% Minoxidal because the 5% was giving me massive dandruff. I was told by a doctor that you can double the dose of 2% to get the 5% and you won't get the dandruff and skin flaking. So far, I have had no skin flaking by doubleing the dose of 2%.

3. You could be experiencing shedding (either due to the above) or which is a normal part of any hair life cycle. See the below post and look for Spex's response. He did a great job explaining the shedding process.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=151062

Thanks, I'll check it out.

4. The only other possibility I can see if you are REALLY losing transplanted hair that will not grow back is if your HT doc extracted donor hair outside of the safe zone. What that basically means is that this donor hair was in an area that could be affected by Dehydro-testosterome (DHT). So I'll ask it this way...have you started losing any hair around the strip scar? (Did you have strip surgery?) If you had FUE, are you losing any hair in the donor area where the FUE hairs were taken?

I hope this helps direct you in the right place.

Bill

I had strip surgery where they cut a strip of hair from the sides of my head down to the lower back part of my head. I am not losing hair around the strip area but of course, the hair is a little less in some of the strip areas due to I believe, the stitching of the skin.

Thanks again Bill...

Kramer

Hi Kramer,

Make sure you read the first part of my note where I put Edit --->. I wrote all those questions before I realized you had an HT 2 months ago.

Nizoral may or may not be creating a problem for you....2 times a week should be fine...but I might suggest giving it a rest until after the "healing" phase of the HT. Nizoral can and does dry out your hair with excessive use. I don't have a link on this, only personal experience. Other people including Robert the associate publisher has talked about hair dryness with overuse of Nizoral .

etc.

I know what strip surgery is...lol! I've had 3 of them...so I'd hope so icon_wink.gif

Again, I believe your loss is all temporary only being 2 months out of surgery.

Bill