Is Hair Restoration right for someone with intact, but thin hair?

I am 34, have been taking Propecia for 10 years (albeit, not diligently). My hair was thinning generally in the middle when i began taking propecia, but the temples were fully intact. My hair has remained almost the same for the past 10 years (perhaps it may have recently worsened...but this may have been because for the past year I took Propecia very irregularly).

I do not have a bald spot, hairline is complete, but honest people have joked that it looks like I'm going to go bald. (I've been hearing this for a decade).

My question is, while diligently taking Propecia may minutely improve matters, it will not stop the impression that I am on the verge of beginning balding in the back. Would people like me be a good or a bad case for Hair Restoration?

Everything I have reviewed leads me to think its for cases of more significant hair loss.

Thanks

I am 34, have been taking Propecia for 10 years (albeit, not diligently). My hair was thinning generally in the middle when i began taking propecia, but the temples were fully intact. My hair has remained almost the same for the past 10 years (perhaps it may have recently worsened...but this may have been because for the past year I took Propecia very irregularly).

I do not have a bald spot, hairline is complete, but honest people have joked that it looks like I'm going to go bald. (I've been hearing this for a decade).

My question is, while diligently taking Propecia may minutely improve matters, it will not stop the impression that I am on the verge of beginning balding in the back. Would people like me be a good or a bad case for Hair Restoration?

Everything I have reviewed leads me to think its for cases of more significant hair loss.

Thanks

bridgewater,

People with thinning hair get hair transplants all the time. But you should consult with a surgeon to determine if hair transplantation is right for you.

Transplanting hair in between and around natural hair can cause temporary shock loss (a temporary loss of some or all the native hair due to trauma to the scalp during surgery) or a permanent loss of some of the hair that has already miniaturized and not strong enough to withstand the trauma and grow back. These hairs would have fallen out anyway due to male pattern baldness. The good news is, you haven't seen any new hair loss for awhile however, I do strongly recommend that you become more regular with taking Propecia.

Also know that in hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop hair loss which means that subsequent hair transplant procedures may be necessary in the event of further hair loss. Additionally, donor hair supply is finite and must be used wisely. But diffuse hair thinners can be optimal candidates since even in the event of future baldness, they will still retain their transplanted hair, appearing to have thinning hair, but natural looking. Hair density can be added later, but donor hair should be kept in reserve for further loss of any areas of thick hair.

I hope this helps get you started in your research.

Best wishes,

Bill

Often it is the patients with the lesser degrees of hair loss that are best candidates for transplant surgery. The donor supply versus demand situation is working for these individuals. Some patients with minimal loss have a small and well-defined areas of loss. For example: deep temple recessions in an otherwise lush head of hair. Or perhaps a small, isolated bald spot in the crown with no signs of thinning in the immediate surrounding area. Other patients, though, have thinning, not baldness, over a large area. It sounds like you match this description. This sort of pattern suggests that, at some point, the thin areas will be essentially bald. What this means is that you can graft into those areas and boost the density and coverage dramatically. The native hair has a transient life span while the transplants are effectively programmed to grow forever. When the native hair eventually "falls out" due to natural progression you will be left with only the grafts. This will not create a naturalness problem if the grafts are follicular unit grafts. The problem, however, is that you will have taken a step forward and then, with aging, a step back. Objectively, even with progressive loss, you will have more hair in the area than if you did nothing at all. Still, it is worth noting that, in order to keep your coverage at a certain level, a follow-up procedure might be in order when the native hair goes.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.