Considering HT. Have questions.

Hello everybody.

I am 25. Started to lose hair at 18-19.

Considering HT.

I have questions:

1. Is 25 too young for HT?

2. Can Coalition HT surgeon give consultation on medications also or i should see 2 different doctors.

More questions to come. icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

Honestly i did not care about my hairloss till last 2 years. I am very happy that i found this website.

Hello everybody.

I am 25. Started to lose hair at 18-19.

Considering HT.

I have questions:

1. Is 25 too young for HT?

2. Can Coalition HT surgeon give consultation on medications also or i should see 2 different doctors.

More questions to come. icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

Honestly i did not care about my hairloss till last 2 years. I am very happy that i found this website.

iwanthair,

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions..............

1) Opinions will vary on this and it's really not black and white. Since you've been losing hair since around 19 years of age, your pattern may be established enough for a qualified surgeon to move forward with a HT. How much hair will you lose in the next 20 years? Who knows? For this reason it is better to go with a conservative approach at age 25 if you opt for a HT after consulting. Can you post any pics of your current situation?

2) Do some consulting with the Coalition Surgeons recommended here. You should be able to accomplish this online. I'm not sure they would prescribe meds for you if they don't see you?? I doubt it.

Another thing................what are you doing for loss prevention? Do you take Propecia (Finasteride) or use Minoxidil? Do you use hair/scalp care products for those with hair loss like Nioxin and/or Nizoral? Use the find feature on this site for research on these topics.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hello, welcome to this forum, you are in good hands here, many of the contributors are very knowledgable and have gone thru what you are considering.

To answer your questions, you should not need to see two doctors - one for a precripstion, one to do surgery.

Too young? Maybe, depends on things like family history, amount of loss, where the loss has started (temple or crown).

It would be helpful if you post a picture or your front, back, sides, and top of your head and let the wise men of the forum help you.

I would recommend the medications first, propecia and minoxidil. Give that a year and see if it stops your loss, if it does not, you will probably lose a lot more hair in the future and getting a HT now would not be wise.

You really need to look into your hair future with a qualified dermatalogist and HT surgeon to see what your future holds.

While you are on the meds for a year gather all the info you can on the pros and cons on any procedure. Look hard before you leap.

Good luck!

NoBuzz

Thank you for replies. I don't take any meds right now and dont use any specific shampoo. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

I live in NY so i was going to go see surgeon in NYC area and ask him what HT can do for me and if i need medication.

Just look for the one that matches your situation..........I think I use #4 which is for thinning "colored" hair. (I'm fighting the gray hair along with the age thing! icon_biggrin.gif)

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guest Cousin_It

Welcome to our forum. Glad you have taken advantage of the opportunity to ask members for advice before taking the big step. The people on this forum are all too happy to give you solid recommendations based on our experience.

First the issue I will address is doing a transplant at your age. Twenty five is not too young to consider a transplant but it really depends on the current progression of your hair loss. If it has stabilized then it would be advisable, but if it is progressing rapidly it may not be. An assessment of this can be made by having a competant doctor map your follicles for miniaturization. This in essence will tell him the condition of your existing hair. A high degree of miniaturization would indicate that these hairs will eventually be lost due to the effects of DHT. In this case the doctor will more than likely recommend medication, such as Propecia to stabilize the condition. Doing a transplant with a high degree of miniaturization will ultimately result in a thinning look again in the near future again.

Secondly, since you are in NYC you have access to a number of top rated Coalition doctors. I would advise you to check out each one of them carefully, since their philosophy on transplantation differs. Depending on what your goals are I am sure you will be able to match one to your needs. You did not state which doctors you are currently considering but may I recommend Dr.Feller in Great Neck. He is an expert in megasessions, dense pack procedures and is an artist in hairline reproduction. Depending on how much loss you have he may well be able to do it in one procedure rather than multiples.

If you would like additional guidance in this matter or in Dr. Feller do not hesistate to ask. Good Luck!

Guest Cousin_It

All these doctors are tops. I would advise you to see all 3, they offer free consulations so there is nothing to loose. There is one thing I will tell you, Feller will be the most aggressive of them all in terms of hairline, density and total grafts, and more than likely his fees per graft will be lower too. Let us know how you make out and your decision, good luck!

Also i forgot to ask you guys this:

2-4 years ago i would run hand thru my hair and see hair in it. Now in last couple days i was running hand thru hair holding sheet of white paper and there is no hair in my hand or on paper. Is it possible for hairloss to stop by itself?

Anything's possible, but that's pretty much unheard of. With meds or Minox, you may be able to halt or drastically slow your loss which is what most suffering from hair loss hope for when they sign on.

Same thing with adding Nioxion and/or Nizoral. Just another step in loss prevention and maintenance.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog