Help: Density not adding up

I just wanted to present a thought I have regarding the "D" word...

After receiving four consultations (three via e-mailed photos) I happily received recommendations all concurring that I needed approx 2,500 grafts for my first HT. (Not happy that i need 2,500 grafts, just happy they all independently agreed)

However when it came to Density, one Dr advised I would get 25 per cm/2, two advised I would get at least 35 per cm/2, and then the last Dr advised I would get packed at close to 60 per cm/2.

Remember....all four Drs agreed I was going to be getting 2,500 grafts.

So my question is; If i need approximately 100 cm/2 of surface area covered with these 2,500 grafts and Dr #4 plans to pack at 60 per cm/2, is he only going to cover HALF the surface area of the other Drs?

If so, which direction do you all recommend I flip my hair to cover the remaining bald half?

I just wanted to present a thought I have regarding the "D" word...

After receiving four consultations (three via e-mailed photos) I happily received recommendations all concurring that I needed approx 2,500 grafts for my first HT. (Not happy that i need 2,500 grafts, just happy they all independently agreed)

However when it came to Density, one Dr advised I would get 25 per cm/2, two advised I would get at least 35 per cm/2, and then the last Dr advised I would get packed at close to 60 per cm/2.

Remember....all four Drs agreed I was going to be getting 2,500 grafts.

So my question is; If i need approximately 100 cm/2 of surface area covered with these 2,500 grafts and Dr #4 plans to pack at 60 per cm/2, is he only going to cover HALF the surface area of the other Drs?

If so, which direction do you all recommend I flip my hair to cover the remaining bald half?

There is always more than 1 way to proceed..especially when you have a lot of turf to cover. its up to you !! My favorite is the 2 HT route with the majority of grafts on HT #1, this seems more common lately.

HT1- 2500

HT2- 1500-2000

Good Luck !

NW

I agree, that the math is odd and the higher fu/cm docs must be planning on doing a smaller area. I would probably go left to right - no particular reason.

Manko

Yes, it does seem that the higher density Dr would surely wind up doing a much smaller area than the other three Drs.

Density is not my #1 concern for my first HT. I believe that for my first HT finding a highly skilled Dr with a plan for the future of my hair loss and restoration is my #1 goal.

I posted this scenario for first timers like me that started out here thinking there was a "one pass" HT for a NW 5 that would restore density and coverage with 3,000 grafts.

If you ARE really concerned with density, I suggest having the Dr measure the area of coverage in cm/2 and then multiplying that measurement by the density promised. Do this calculation BEFORE the total number of grafts is estimated.

It's amazing how little "ground" is covered when the density goes way up.

Regarding density, Matt Zupan, from Shapiro Medical Group, has just released some new material as a guideline on the subject, on their website.

If you go to http://www.shapiromedical.com/smg/consult.htm and log in with username: "grow", and password: "hair" (w/out the quotes) you'll see the documents in question. While those of you who've had the pamphlet mailed to them from the Shaprio clinic will recognize these documents from that book, there are two new ones that've been added called "Understanding Density" and "Determining Number of Follicular Units", which are new.

Thought they might help you, Son of a Plug, in gaining a more informed understanding on the subject.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

HarryLemon