Working Out

but that's what I was told by my doctor. I also found similar time mentioned by other docs. I would imagine that heavy work-out is not something you'd want early after the surgery. There's just too much at stake.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

If I remember correctly, my surgeon told me to stay away from workouts to avoid raising my blood pressure which would increase pressure on the newly placed grafts. It would also increase risks of swelling. She also told me not to bend over into a position that brought my head lower than my heart as this would cause a sudden increase in blood pressure. I'm fairly sure b.p. was the issue. I am certain that push-ups were definitely not allowed. The restrictions were for at least two weeks after surgery, but may have been as long as a month. I don't recall exactly.

HI.

i know what you are going through. if you had the FUT procedure and there is a scar be careful. I to work out five times a day with weights etc.

Scars in the right indviduals can stretch. If i were you go only on cardio for the next few months. I know this is bad news, but keep in mind the damage that can be done. Also scars can be easly corrected if this does happen. It's a small procedure.

I was told by Matt Z. from Shapiro Medical that after ten days, the grafts are thoroughly adhered and therefore working out with heavy weights is ok.

My doctor told me that non impact cardio (stairmaster, eliptical, etc.) after 3 days was fine, weights after 7 day for FUE type procedures. Impact type cardio falls into the same category as weights. If you have strip, then you need to wait until 2 weeks post-op on the weights to start to avoid any possibility of scar stretching.

Also, any type of exercise which involves putting your hands behind your head (crunches, situps, etc.) should also be avoided until the 2 week mark.

Finally, and this is just my personal opinion, any type of contact sport should be avoided for the first month. I practice Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week. After 1 week, I worked out with my class for the next 3 weeks, but skipped sparring classes until I was 1 month post-op.

TheTKDKid

Note: Any percentages listed are subjective estimates and should not be regarded as scientific measurements.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3hjqi/

As a general rule I instruct my patients not to lift heavy weights or do cardiovascular training for 7-10 days. Once all the scabs have fallen off and the sutures have been removed the patient can resume regular exercise. I do tell each patient not to do excessive flexion or extention of the neck for 3-4 weeks to limit potential donor scarring. The contact sports issue is debatable, but one should always air on the side of caution. I did a procedure on one of the players on my hockey team, and against my advice he skated two weeks after the surgery without any problems. The bottom line is if you use good common sense and are careful you will most likely not have any problems.