Sutures done too tight

I read that Sutures in the donor area can possibly done too tight and cause a bigger scar. Is this also the result of a ridge you get from the incision area?

I read that Sutures in the donor area can possibly done too tight and cause a bigger scar. Is this also the result of a ridge you get from the incision area?

Eric,

I'm not sure if this would cause a bigger scar or not. Seems as if it might but you should consult the Doctor who did your surgery. Mine were not overly tight nor did I have a ridge. Mine was very smooth from the start. Just some swelling for a few weeks.

Good Luck

Nashville Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, stiches can get too tight, but with an experienc doctor it probably isnt unless you had a 5K mega session. If this is the first HT, then the tightness feeling is common and will go away in 6-8 weeks.

• Administrators

Eric,

In the last couple of years in particular there has been much more care in how donor hair is harvested and the donor area closed.

In the past, the skin in the donor area was sometimes sewn up like a baseball. This tight binding on the skin and this tension on the skin often produced traction alopecia around the suture, shock fall out and stretch scarring.

Those doctors who are now doing quality work generaly take donor strips that are more narrower and longer and they close the donor area with an internal and then an external suture.

The internal suture beneath the skin and in the underlying deep tissues pulls the donor area together, while the external sutures in the skin have very little tension and are used to just bring the skin together under very minimal tension. This "double closure" technique is an important advance in minimizing the tension and potential stretching and shock along the donor area.

I think it is a good idea to ask a potential physician to discuss how they close the donor area.

Thanks for a very excellent question.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.