Cost

Can anyone give me an idea of how much these ht's cost? I've heard that the grafts are 5 to 7 bucks each, but I'm about a 4 on the norwood scale and have no idea how many grafts I would need. Can anyone help?

Can anyone give me an idea of how much these ht's cost? I've heard that the grafts are 5 to 7 bucks each, but I'm about a 4 on the norwood scale and have no idea how many grafts I would need. Can anyone help?

Dorian

HTs have come down in price, and fortunately gone up in quality. While $5 - $7 may have been the norm at one time, I would say the range is now closer to $3 - $5, with the majority being around the $4 mark. I just had my first (and hopefully last) HT with Dr. Paul Rose in Tampa, FL. He is considered one of the very best in the country (I would say top 10 or even top 5, but others surely have differing opinions). But regardless of exact rank, he's very, very good, and my procedure only cost $4.12 per graft.

I am a Norwood 3 and I got 1535 grafts. While each person's head is different, you can expect with a Norwood 4 pattern to need probably in the 2000 - 2200 range. Most if not all doctors listed on this site will give you a free consultation if you email good pictures from several angles. They could give you a much better estimate than I could. Good luck!

Tedd

There are some general graft requirement estimates at the website www.hairtransplantadviser.org

A big factor is how coarse or thin your hair is. You will need more grafts than other patients just to get the same coverage, if your hair is fine and wispy. The coarser or more wirey your hair, the better it covers. Also, if your hair is curly, that contributes to coverage.

Another factor is how low you place your hairline, and if you expect to put hair in the crown area. Both of these factors require a lot of grafts. Your entire donor supply could be used just to restore the hair in a bald crown area (leaving none for the front).

Your expectations also play a role. Some guys just want a little coverage, and are happy with fewer grafts, then someone who tries to recreate their pre-hair loss appearance.

The vast majority of patients will run out of money, patience, or donor hair, before they ever meet their initial expectations of coverage from a hair transplant, in my opinion. I've never heard of a hair transplant patient who said he didn't want or need any more grafts. If a patient like that exists, he is extremely rare.