Protecting Grafts Post-Op....

Jac, unless you're attending some costume party where saran wrap is a requirement, I don't see why you should wear it on your head icon_smile.gif

On a more serious note, as Jo and Bill have already pointed out, you should talk to your doctor and ask him/her about this. I personally have never heard anyone use it, and I never used it myself after my surgery.

He told just me to wear it on my head when I wear a hat to protect the grafts. He didn't say for how long to do that, however. It must have been just for the first 2 or 3 days. I will ask him. I'm about 10 days post-op now so I would say that it's okay not to now. Things look good so far.

It's probably because it is smooth and if the hat shifts, it won't dislodge the grafts. It doesn't appear to be the best option for healing however. It will trap perspiration. Generally good airflow is better for healing.

Got an answer for the use of saran wrap. The saran wrap should be worn 3-4 days under a hat post-op to protect the grafts. The wrap has a greenhouse effect, of sorts. This greenhouse effect apparently helps the grafts. Don't ask me how. That's just what I was told my Ailene at Dr. Cooley's office. At any rate, I haven't worn it for a few days now. Airflow is a good thing for healing as well, of course.