Hello Follicle Friends!

Hi- I've been reading this site for a bit now- all i can say is WOW- great insight, fantastic info, stimulating fu's errrr...i mean information!

With all the new info I've aquired here, my head is about ready to explode (save the donor area!) I've got loads of questions and comments on many of the different threads here- along with worries and concerns ( not good for the remaining fu's- those fu's should concern thmeselves with the potential shockloss!).

It seems one of the proper ways to "introduce" themselves here is stats/pics..so here goes:

42 WM, family history almost unknown, very fine hair, possibly coarse, always have worn it "buzz cuttish" short (# 2 razor, have the salt n pepper on the sides.

Looking to fix via HT: I have always hated my widow's peaks..I have a very high forehead, and it has only gotten worse over the years..while taking pix for this site, i came across a rude surprise: my vrown is almost bare (what kind friends i have for not mentioning it to me!)..the crown i can wait on or even live with- it's the front area that i want to improve.

I hope this opening post of mine was a good intro and not too winded- like our hiar wishes, i tend to pack a lot of density into my posts!

Hopefully the pic will attach properly- I ththinkink I'm a NW 3- but am not sure, hence why I'm looking to get feedback from this forum.

Thanks for your comments

Lucky

hairline_top_view_7_16.jpg.6da59a8e344e0301c495ca0c29fa315f.jpg

Hi- I've been reading this site for a bit now- all i can say is WOW- great insight, fantastic info, stimulating fu's errrr...i mean information!

With all the new info I've aquired here, my head is about ready to explode (save the donor area!) I've got loads of questions and comments on many of the different threads here- along with worries and concerns ( not good for the remaining fu's- those fu's should concern thmeselves with the potential shockloss!).

It seems one of the proper ways to "introduce" themselves here is stats/pics..so here goes:

42 WM, family history almost unknown, very fine hair, possibly coarse, always have worn it "buzz cuttish" short (# 2 razor, have the salt n pepper on the sides.

Looking to fix via HT: I have always hated my widow's peaks..I have a very high forehead, and it has only gotten worse over the years..while taking pix for this site, i came across a rude surprise: my vrown is almost bare (what kind friends i have for not mentioning it to me!)..the crown i can wait on or even live with- it's the front area that i want to improve.

I hope this opening post of mine was a good intro and not too winded- like our hiar wishes, i tend to pack a lot of density into my posts!

Hopefully the pic will attach properly- I ththinkink I'm a NW 3- but am not sure, hence why I'm looking to get feedback from this forum.

Thanks for your comments

Lucky

Lucky Locs,

Welcome to our community.

What kind of help are you looking for? What are your goals for hair restoration?

Generally speaking...

At 42 years of age with little loss, you are most likely an ideal candidate for an HT (of course, only a doctor can truly qualify you).

At a NW3, you will most likely need between 3-4000 grafts to achieve decent coverage and density all around, however, how many grafts you need will also depend on your goals. From the picture in that particular view, it doesn't appear that you have much loss, however, the top does look a bit thinner.

If you can post some pictures from the top down, that will also help us give a better evaluation.

I would recommend researching and consulting with at least 3 of our coalition doctors: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Bill

Yay! a reply! at least i know i can post- now to figure out the PM thing (did u recevie mine Fal? if you replied, how would i find it?)

I've actually narrowed my HT docs list down thanks to all the helpful info here- now its moved on to an Olympic scoring system with how i will pick my doc...

top- down...hmm i think i understand..all pix u will see were taken today 7/16/07. Is this pic better for analysis?

hairline_7_16.jpg.e5313f4f681890410fe84f506fd062d1.jpg

LOL Lucky,

Yep, I got your PM. You should receive an email letting you know that I replied. Then just follow the link "reply to post" to send a message back.

The picture you actually took was a hairline picture. I'm looking for a picture of the top of your head - hold the camera directly above your head like someone is looking down at you from a second story, and take a picture. You'll see several examples of that in my picture galleries (links below).

Bill

OK...by the time Bill and i finish, he will have the whole roll of film! icon_smile.gif

I sent him a left profile shot via PM, now i will attempt the overhead shot...icon_smile.gif

I am also eagerly awaiting other members evaluations as well (especially B spot and umm..the Density guy?)The thread Nervous Nelly started today was also of great interest to me (ie, sparse donor area).

Is this the "money shot" you were looking for Bill?

head_back_7_16.jpg.22c3f25823c35a19f618b2f0a1fc1cac.jpg

Locs,

Although I am not a Ht doc I personally believe with the amount of hairloss and the shape of your head and hairline, you want to be careful of going too low. I think that you will accomplish a lot with a hairline that is relatively high and mature and not too alarming for those that have known you for years. You will be able to get a great natural look that won't require massive numbers of fu. Research like hell and start to narrow things down to the right doc for you.

Take care,

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks NN- I've actually done the bulk of my research already- have been lurking on this site for a while now (enough to now that May was an "interesting" month on this board!), and am now trying to fine tune, and get some general feedback and stray qestions out of the way- i figured it was time to post the pix and get veteran board member opinions, so when i start emailing this week, i can have some idea of what to expect in the replies back.

Based on my pix guys, am i an NW3? would a guesstimate of about 2000 grafts for a mature hairline be right? and will that mature hairline fill in the widows peaks?

Adding another pic of top of head ( i think this was the shot Bill was looking for)

head_top_view_7_16.jpg.40665cab86cf91d312b1d035e6da7a76.jpg

It is always a challenge to make estimates based on a couple of photos but I would have to guess that you are needing more around 3000+ Fu for a mature hairline that will limit the widows peak. I think that this will accomplish what you are after and provide some density.

I think I would classify you more as a NW4 but again this is always somewhat subjective because certain hairstyles can be deceiving.

Hope that helps.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Lucky,

Your picture quality makes it a little difficult icon_wink.gif, but I'd say about 3000 in the front also. That is, without touching the crown. You might consider leaving the crown alone and trying finasteride + rogaine to see if you can bring it back.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hello lucky,

I think you are a great candidate & you have already educated yourself! Half way there.

I think you have good quality donor hair just by appearance.

Your hairline will be a tricky one so keep that in mind when getting consultations.

You will need to keep it high obviously.

You should have good results with the right Doctor,

Good luck!

Folica- thanks for the input- this is what i'm seeking out here on the forum, knowing full well that these opinions are opinions, and not medical advice, as your tag line says...icon_smile.gif

Could you elaborate moer on what you mean by a "tricky" hairline?

NN- you should've seen the 1st set of pix i was gonna post- my friend and I figured out how to reduce pixel size so we could actually post the pix on the forum and not be poster-sized! perhaps you could PM me with some photo taking tips? I'd be morethan happy to trade some Mexican restaurant tips in the bay area i return...icon_smile.gif

Bill, did u get my last PM from last nite with the (hopefully) more helpful pic?

to other forum members- please feel free to check in with your thoughts, wisdom, nuggets of advice, etc. on my pix here in this thread- as i am now ready to contact docs, i want to be fully armed with as much info as possible!

Thanks!

Taking pics by yourself can be difficult. If you have someone to take them for you, it would be better. If not, well start with these tips:

1) use the zoom on your camera. You are getting the "hourglass" effect. That is typical of cameras when you do closeups and don't zoom in. Zooming in tends to flatten out the picture and thus it eliminates the hour glass effect. Of course that requires that you hold the camera as far away from you as possible.

2) Get some better angles. Do a true top down angle. Then some side angles slightly elevated (maybe 20 to 30 degrees).

Hope that helps.

Gorp

P.S. San Francisco has Mexican Food???

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Lucky,

I'll have to check my PMs...however, these pictures are helpful.

I agree with Gorpy...depending on how low you want to go with your hairline, 3000 is a good estimate which should also cover some of the thinning areas in the front. You don't have significant loss in the crown at this point - but given your age and assuming you didn't just start losing your hair, you could probably fill in the crown with some decent cosmetic difference with 1500 grafts.

Whether or not you consider finasteride at this point is up to you. For younger people, i tend to recommend it more strongly...but given your age and assuming you haven't lost any significant amounts of hair recently, you may be ok staying away from it.

Bill

That's interesting Bill. I'd be interested in hearing further information on why you think a 42 year old would not need finasteride. Do you think they don't lose more hair due to DHT?

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Could you elaborate moer on what you mean by a "tricky" hairline?

Yes, what I mean by tricky is that your forehead is wide with receded temples.

The tricky part ( and not that its a problem in a skilled surgeons hands ) is the shape of your hairline & how it ties into the temples.

Like I said in my previous post, I think you are a good cadidate given your age & hairloss & the fact that you have ample donor hair.

Who is on your list of Doctors?