Flakiness=Hair loss!

Hey everyone, I'm 24 and have been experiencing MPB since 22

My case is pretty weird. I didn't do anything about it until I started taking Rogaine for Men 5%(22yrs old), I stopped since I thought the effects were minimal. Within 2 months of stopping I developed high levels of flakiness all over my head and went from a Norwood 1 to a Norwood 6 or 7! I went ahead and shaved my head and started using Rogaine 5% and Finpecia hand in hand, in two months I had thick hair growth all over and it was darker hair than normal. After the growth period (3months) it was hard to apply Rogaine since my hair had grown pretty long and I quit Rogaine and just continued Finpecia. Amazingly, within 2 months, I developed high levels of flakiness and went back to a Norwood 6 or 7. This is my second time with this experiment. I went ahead and shaved my head and three months later I have good growth right now (I'm on finpecia and Rogaine 5% along with Nizoral 1%). I'm afraid I'm having more hair loss right now and this could be directly related to the fact that the flakiness has increased -> Due to the fact that I have had to increase my dosage of Rogaine from the recommended 1ml per sitting since I have more hair and it is harder to get to the scalp areas. This flakiness is definitely causing my hair to fall again and I cannot use Nizoral to remove it everyday since its leaving me with an itchy scalp.

Can someone please tell me what I've been doing wrong? I can't seem to understand this pattern of hair loss. It really sucks. Are there any alternative treatments I should consider? I'm not sure what to do at this point since it feels like I'll go back to a Norwood 7 with all the flakes accumulating and killing my hair follicles :'(. PLEASE HELP ME!

Hey everyone, I'm 24 and have been experiencing MPB since 22

My case is pretty weird. I didn't do anything about it until I started taking Rogaine for Men 5%(22yrs old), I stopped since I thought the effects were minimal. Within 2 months of stopping I developed high levels of flakiness all over my head and went from a Norwood 1 to a Norwood 6 or 7! I went ahead and shaved my head and started using Rogaine 5% and Finpecia hand in hand, in two months I had thick hair growth all over and it was darker hair than normal. After the growth period (3months) it was hard to apply Rogaine since my hair had grown pretty long and I quit Rogaine and just continued Finpecia. Amazingly, within 2 months, I developed high levels of flakiness and went back to a Norwood 6 or 7. This is my second time with this experiment. I went ahead and shaved my head and three months later I have good growth right now (I'm on finpecia and Rogaine 5% along with Nizoral 1%). I'm afraid I'm having more hair loss right now and this could be directly related to the fact that the flakiness has increased -> Due to the fact that I have had to increase my dosage of Rogaine from the recommended 1ml per sitting since I have more hair and it is harder to get to the scalp areas. This flakiness is definitely causing my hair to fall again and I cannot use Nizoral to remove it everyday since its leaving me with an itchy scalp.

Can someone please tell me what I've been doing wrong? I can't seem to understand this pattern of hair loss. It really sucks. Are there any alternative treatments I should consider? I'm not sure what to do at this point since it feels like I'll go back to a Norwood 7 with all the flakes accumulating and killing my hair follicles :'(. PLEASE HELP ME!

The only thing I can see for sure that I'd classify as wrong is starting the meds, then stoping, then starting.........it's really a lifetime commitment if you want to reap their benefits. With the flakiness in your scalp.....if I were in your shoes I'd probably see a dermatologist to see exactly what's going on. Sounds like Minox and Fin have brought you out of the hole, maybe a qualified Doc can better help you understand your condition and give advice on how best to deal with it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

See a doctor, maybe the one who prescribed you the propecia

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Ok so I went to a dermatologist today and all she could say was maybe you should consider switching between Nizoral 1% to Loprox 1% every once in a while. She said the flakiness might be due to the fact that the body was used to Nizoral since I've been using that for a while.

Man, what a waste of $30!

Did the derm say that the flakiness/irritation is causing your hair to fall out?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

No, the doctor didn't say that the flakiness was causign my hair to fall out. She basically said "There have been cases where flakiness causes the hair to fall out, I think in your case your scalp is getting used to Nizoral, I'd suggest you switch to loprox and see". It was a very general suggestion, I don't think that really helps.

I had a couple more questions. Anyone care to help me with this? TIA!

Q1: Is it ok to use generic versions of minoxidil instead of Rogaine or is this harmful. I went on www.minoxidil.com and saw that they had a 12.5% solution or even a 15% Xandrox solution. Is this safe to use since I have been using 5% all this time?

Q2: Have you heard of loprox? It seems like a mighty expensive shampoo ($80-100 for 120ml) If you've used it before is it better than Nizoral 1% ($20 for 90ml or so)