Side Effects of Rogaine Foam

Hi All,

I recently had a transplant about a month and a half ago. Prior to this I had used Rogaine solution 5% on and off for a number of years with good results and never any side effects.

After having the staples removed I began using Rogaine foam. About a week later I began noticing a bit of numbness in the toes of my right foot. I asked my doctor and he had no answers, I even called Pfizer and they took the info but gave no answers either. So now I ask you guys about it.

I know this symptom is listed as a possible side effect in the literature. My question, is the foam more absorbable and causes symptomatic problems or is it because the hair transplant is temporarily causing more absorption until it heals fully??? Anyone have clue to this. I am using the prescribed amount twice a day.

Tony,

I have honestly never heard of this side effect, but I admit, I haven't thoroughly read all the literature on minoxodil. What is listed as a possible side effect exactly?

Though this is only my opinion without looking into this, I wouldn't suspect that this would be from minoxodil...however, you could always try stopping the minoxodil and see if the numbness goes away. If it doesn't, I'd check with your doctor about other potential medical issues.

Bill

Thank you for responding. Actually I stopped a few applications of the foam and it subsided a great deal, I then tried it again and after an application it started to come back, so it seems like this may be the cause.

The literature from Pfizer states:

Blurred vision or other changes in vision; chest pain; decrease of sexual ability or desire ; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing; headache; lightheadedness ; numbness or tingling of hands, feet, or face; swelling of face, hands, feet, or lower legs; weight gain (rapid)

Just wondering if my scalp is more permeable because of the transplant, at least for now until it heals more.

TonyQ,

Thanks for sharing the specific literature on that...I was unaware as I said. If I am correct, that is one of the much more rare side effects, however, if it's affecting you, I'd advise stopping it. Whether or not the foam is more easily absorbed than the liquid, I couldn't tell you. I would actually think it would be the other way around. But if you have more luck with that, switch icon_wink.gif. Maybe some other people who know more about minox and it's side effects will post.

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

TonyQ...

Funny you should ask this question. I recently read some info concerning the enhanced permeability of the scalp after a megasession transplant. I believe Dr.Bernstein has found that due to the trauma of surgery, for a period of time until healing is complete which can last up to 6 months, absorption can be increased four fold. This together with the fact that the foam is twice as absorbent as the liquid can amount to a substantial quantity of the drug being systematically dumped into the blood.

My advice to your would be stop the foam, wait a few days for all symptoms to subside,then begin using the solution. If you find there are still unwanted side effects I would suggest you attempt using the 2% solution,this will more than likely work fine. When things heal fully, at approxiamately the 6 month mark as Dr.Bernstein states you can make the transition to the stronger products. Keep us informed of your progress in the matter. Good Luck!