Rogaine

dmale25

I have been having a receding hairline (class 2 - about an inch and an half from what I had in teenage), and hair is thinning along my temples. I am 25 now.

I want to wait and see how fast my hairline recedes before thinking on a hair transplant. I also did not want to use Propecia or any oral drugs because of its sex-related side effects (what is the use if u got hair, but not able to pump?).

The only remaining option for me is Rogaine... Now I have 2 questions for u people:

1) In my case, will constant use of Rogaine stop or maintain my receding hairline?

2) If, say, I stop using Rogaine after 3 years, will I lose only the hair that I would have normally lost those 3 years, or would the hair loss be greater, i.e., can Rogaine cause a negative effect?

Thanks

I have been having a receding hairline (class 2 - about an inch and an half from what I had in teenage), and hair is thinning along my temples. I am 25 now.

I want to wait and see how fast my hairline recedes before thinking on a hair transplant. I also did not want to use Propecia or any oral drugs because of its sex-related side effects (what is the use if u got hair, but not able to pump?).

The only remaining option for me is Rogaine... Now I have 2 questions for u people:

1) In my case, will constant use of Rogaine stop or maintain my receding hairline?

2) If, say, I stop using Rogaine after 3 years, will I lose only the hair that I would have normally lost those 3 years, or would the hair loss be greater, i.e., can Rogaine cause a negative effect?

Thanks

Rogaine is most effective for hairloss in the crown area. The side effects of Propecia effect only about 2% of men who use it. I use it with no side effect.

If you stsrt Rogaine, then stop you will lose the hair you regrew.

Hi dmale25,

I also was a NW2 at 25 but I quickly became a NW3 by 27 when I had my HT. I used Rogaine for about 2 years and assessed that it didnt have any positive effect. I then later switched to Propecia for 18 months under which time I've had most of my hairloss. I believe that it was only when I started using both Minoxidil and Propecia did my hairloss slow down.

Well if you stop using minoxidil you will lose the hair that it regrew or helped maintain. Although even though there are reports that minoxidil may cause existing native hair to be dependent on Minoxidil I have not found any clinical studies to suggest this is true. Although after 3 years of use, Dr Lee of http://www.minoxidil.com thinks you shouldnt expect to see any regrowth after this time and you should be able to drop down to one application per day to maintain the hair you have had with it.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006