Donor Hair

Guest Dude

Has anyone found that, once a series of procedures were started, there was not enough donor hair available to finish their recommended sessions? It occurred to me that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell how much is really there (unless a specialized instrument is used). Is it safe to say that someone who is a category 5 or 6 has a donor hair count in a given range?

Has anyone found that, once a series of procedures were started, there was not enough donor hair available to finish their recommended sessions? It occurred to me that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell how much is really there (unless a specialized instrument is used). Is it safe to say that someone who is a category 5 or 6 has a donor hair count in a given range?

There is a finite amount of donor hair, and if your doc is worth using, he will be able to give you an accurate estimate on how many grafts he will be able to harvest. Some surgeons use a densitometer (I believe that is the name) to decide what a patient's donor density is. There should be no real surprises when you discuss your strategy with a prospective surgeon... They should be able to tell you what kind of coverage you will have, over how big of an area, in how many sessions. Of course the exact number of grafts is impossible to predict, but they should be able to come quite close. (One variable would be scalp density, which is relatively intangible).

Check out Dr. McAndrew's website for a breakdown of density vs. graft number: www.hairgrowthdoctor.com/Pages/translim.html

I was botched by an "old-school" incompetent doctor, who was unable or uninterested in planning for a patient's future. For many years this "running out of grafts" was a common result of hair transplants, and it still happens with some of the inferior doctors. (The patient being told "I'm sorry if you're not satisfied, but that's as far as we can go. You're out of donor hair.") A good doctor will be able to get specific about how many grafts you will have, and what that will look like.

Arfy

So, you're saying that not all surgeons use a densitimeter and that some reputable ones are able to judge visually how much donor hair is available or base it on your age and category of hair loss?

I don't think I'm that thick back there and have been told I could have over 3000 grafts. My biggest concern is as you said 'running out' befoe the job is done.

Thanks for your reply.

Not all surgeons use the densitometer.

I suspect that the best doctors will be able to give you a fairly close estimate on grafts. I am going to take a wild guess and suggest that if your doc said 3000 grafts as an estimate, it would be sensible to "give or take" 500 grafts either way. So you may wind up with as many as 3500 or as few as 2500.

If your original question was regarding how precisely can a doctor predict how many grafts a patient has available, I will guess it is a "ballpark estimate". Like I said, scalp laxity is intangible (not measurable, in other words).

If a doctor suggests you have 3000 grafts, that is realtively limited, as some guys can have 4500 or more. Did your doctor estimate 3000 grafts for the 'first surgery' only (meaning follow-up surgeries would harvest more)?

Also, one other factor to keep in mind is hair quality. Coarse hair can provide more coverage per graft than fine hair. Apparently this is an important variable in final coverage. By the way, when you look at a doctor's before and after photos, notice how many guys have coarse or wirey hair. Those guys tend to get a fuller looking result.

You may need to pose more specific questions directly to an actual surgeon in the forum called "Post your questions for Hair Transplant Surgeons here".

Arfy,

Thanks for your timely reply. I am hoping to have a late Spring procedure before the summer sets in and I want to be as well informed as possible. I have thought about this for a long time and done a lot of research.

Actually, the doctor suggested 3 sessions of 1100 grafts each so that brings it up to 3300. A 4th smaller session may be possible for further coverage or density. My hair is of medium courseness but doesn't seem especially dense to me. Of course in the shower it looses a lot of its volume! As a category 6 I guess I can't expect too much to be there! The link to the density table was very interesting - I guess I probably fall in the middle somewhere.

I've had 3 consultations, some by email with pictures I provided. None of these doctors (who by the way are highly regarded and mentioned on this site) discouraged me and in fact all their recommdations were very similiar.

Any other info you can pass my way would be very much appreciated. I will also take your advice and post on the other section of the forum as well.

At this point, unless I find out otherwise, I guess I need to trust that the recommendations are

going to work and that the results will be what I expect.

By the way, did your doctor use a densitometer?

Thanks again

Arfy,

I've read your in-depth comments to numerous emails; you appear extremely knowledgeable. I don't mean to put you out on a limb, but wondering what clinic(s) you would recommend in California, if you are familiar with the area. NHI in LA seems to have a long, proven track record. I'm in Hong Kong and it's difficult to know the very best, least risk clinic just by email correspondence and their websites. Any suggestions, recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have any personal experience with California doctors. I don't even recommend that guys should get a hair transplant, unless nothing else has worked, and they have a complete understanding of all the drawbacks and limitations involved. HT is not the "miracle cure" to baldness, and it is not for everybody.

That said, I suggest you research the doctors you may be interested in, read up about them, and contact them. Many doctors will do an email "consultation". Other than that, I can't advise you. HT are a bit of a gamble, there is no "sure thing" or perfect doctor.