Propecia, Etc. Prior to Surgery?

Is it advisable to start taking Propecia, Proscar and/or Rogain PRIOR to HT surgery?

Obviously, one would want to take every action possible to promote and maximize the hair yield achieved in the HT procedure. Since most Drs. seem to recommend the use of these drugs on a post-op basis, this raises the question of whether one would benefit from starting the regimen prior to surgery. My layman's thinking is that it might somehow make the recipient scalp more fertile and accomodating with respect to accepting the FU grafts and promoting their healthy growth.

Is there any validity to this approach? If so, how long prior to surgery should the regimen commence? And what medicines and doses are recommended?

Thanks and best regards.

Is it advisable to start taking Propecia, Proscar and/or Rogain PRIOR to HT surgery?

Obviously, one would want to take every action possible to promote and maximize the hair yield achieved in the HT procedure. Since most Drs. seem to recommend the use of these drugs on a post-op basis, this raises the question of whether one would benefit from starting the regimen prior to surgery. My layman's thinking is that it might somehow make the recipient scalp more fertile and accomodating with respect to accepting the FU grafts and promoting their healthy growth.

Is there any validity to this approach? If so, how long prior to surgery should the regimen commence? And what medicines and doses are recommended?

Thanks and best regards.

The answer is "yes".

You should ALREADY be on Propecia anyway, if you are losing hair! If you would take it at the early signs of hair loss, you would hopefully never need a hair transplant in the first place.

There is only so much donor hair on your head. If you are smart, you will try to keep as much of your remaining "natural" hair as possible. If I were you, if I had some hair I wanted to keep, I would get on Propecia ASAP.