Advice with Meds/Shampoo Ect.

MORE_HAIR

Hey guys.

I just read MRJB's review on Revita shampoo...thanks for that.

I'm getting my HT at the end of this month with Dr.Epstein.

Any suggestions on when it's all over what little extras will help with the healing/growth.

I'm currently taking finasteride 1.25 every day for the past year.

I've been using Nizoral 1% for about the last two months 4x/week.

I heard a little about MSM and of course rogaine foam.

Any thoughts/feedback would be great.

I like the rest of you want to maximize healing/growth post HT....and get on a solid regimen and stick with it.

Thanks,

More_hair

Hey guys.

I just read MRJB's review on Revita shampoo...thanks for that.

I'm getting my HT at the end of this month with Dr.Epstein.

Any suggestions on when it's all over what little extras will help with the healing/growth.

I'm currently taking finasteride 1.25 every day for the past year.

I've been using Nizoral 1% for about the last two months 4x/week.

I heard a little about MSM and of course rogaine foam.

Any thoughts/feedback would be great.

I like the rest of you want to maximize healing/growth post HT....and get on a solid regimen and stick with it.

Thanks,

More_hair

Hi MH,

Best of luck to you later this month with Dr. Epstein. He does quality work so I'm sure you'll do fine. Care to share your specs with us...........i.e. where you're at on the NW scale, expected grats, where they'll be placed, your age??

MSM has been rumored to help the hair grow faster. I did take it after my surgery for about the first 4-5 months and it "may" have helped............it can't hurt you, cause it's good for the joints, too, so it's a win-win icon_smile.gif! You can buy it at Walmart and I believe you'll want to take 3000mg per day which I think is a couple of pills but check me out on that, it's been awhile.

I used Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner and believe them to be one of the best for the hair and scalp...........you may want to look into them.

I was never a fan of using Minoxidil to jump start growth as I always wondered what it would do to my native, MPB-susceptible hair, and whether or not it would get dependent on it. I guess my advice to you would be not to use it as the hair will eventually come in fully with or without it.

Patience is the key.............there's really NOTHING that you'll do that will drastically speed up the growth. It just take time.

Best of luck to you,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

A word of advice coming from a fellow former NW 5 recovered bald guy...........use the 2600 in the frontal 1/3 exclusively rather than try to hit the crown, then hit the crown some other time. Any reason at your age and stage of loss you're not going for more grafts in one session? Just curious??

Peace,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Shampoos are not going to do much

I like Revita because the way it leaves my hair ( not dry ). It does have good ingredients though but let's face it it won't grow hair.

I think it is important to stick to the BIG 3 and what works.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

HairBank,

The doc thought 2600+ graphs...which from what he tells me will end up up around 2800 was a good number.

I see where you're coming from when you talk about the frontal 1/3 and graph count in my case....couldn't agree more.

I have no reason to defend my docs approach but I will tell you I myself like going a little conservative the first time(not saying 2800 graphs is chicken feed either).

I went on four consults (all coalition docs) Epstein was the third highest in graph count.

But once again from what I read/see on this forum there's a chance I may need a second pass.

Ya know it could just be me and my own fears....but I feel by doing two jobs you have more control over the total outcome.

After the first job you learn about your own hair recovery and growth and then add density if needed later.

Too some that could sound like total rubbish...just how I feel.

Also..

Mrjb,

Thanks for the info....I agree on the big three.

I figure if the shampoos can't hurt....what the heck.

Thanks alot guys,

Your feedback means alot.

More_hair

MH-

Hey, glad to see you're taking my comments as they are intended.............constructively and to help you icon_wink.gif!

If I were you, I'd just make sure there "is" a plan for the long haul. If you're NW 4-5 right now, as I was before any HT's at age 38, I can tell you, unless you want a noticable balding area on your head, you'll need more grafts.

I have 5000 right now, and if I keep thinking the way I am, hair greed will kick in and I'll go back in for some much needed temple/hairline work and to add density all around. It takes lots of grafts to provide the illusion of density over the majority of your head.

I'm not taking anything away from Dr. Epstein as he will do quality work for you. I just want you to be realistic about what 2600-2800 grafts will do for a NW4/5 such as yourself. So, if you go in knowing this, and knowing that if you want a total non-balding look you'll need another session, that's what I'm after.

When I went for HT #1, I had only been on HTN for a few weeks and was far too uneducated to go through with it. I lucked out in that the HT is decent and I was not scarred, but the coverage was very lackluster...........even 3886 grafts after HT #2 and I still think I need more.

Best wishes,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

HairBank,

Thanks again for the feedback.

I've discovered this forum a little over a year ago...but have been REALLY reading almost daily for three months.

Not only are the guys running this thing seem real informed and nice guys but most of the regulars on here seem cool.

Anyway....

I'm also not to concerned about a second procedure since the healing process doesn't seem to be hell.

In other words if the healing was long,bloody,ect....I'd go for the one bigger shot and get it over with...not the case.

I've seen some of the guys that went for the mega-sessions...the results are great.

Alot of these guys were NW6...flat out bald.

In that case I would go for the BIG job.

I assume they figured not only would 3000 graphs give them nothing in terms of density...but they know from the get go a second procedure would be needed.

Thanks,

More_hair

Hey MH,

Always glad to help any way I can! It sounds like you have things well thought out...........best of luck to you! I hope you can take the time start a blog or add your before/afters.

Peace,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog