Ditching the hat too early?

I'm 5 weeks post op. About 70% of the transplanted hair has fallen out and i haven't had any noticeable shock loss yet. I've been getting by with wearing a hat to work so far, telling anyone who asked that i got cut by a cabinet on my scalp (stolen from the "excuses" thread on this forum icon_smile.gif).

I have a presentation next week and am pretty content to ditch the hat because with some toppik and dermmatch my hair in its current state looks presentable.

I am really worried about shock loss hitting in a few weeks though.

I know there's a lot of you who've traveled down this path already. Any words of advice?

To de-hat or not to de-hat, that is the question ? icon_biggrin.gif

PS > My blog has pics of my hair at 4 weeks, which is pretty similar to what it looks like now. I use dermatch to cover the scar and light "dusting" of toppik to add density

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I'm 5 weeks post op. About 70% of the transplanted hair has fallen out and i haven't had any noticeable shock loss yet. I've been getting by with wearing a hat to work so far, telling anyone who asked that i got cut by a cabinet on my scalp (stolen from the "excuses" thread on this forum icon_smile.gif).

I have a presentation next week and am pretty content to ditch the hat because with some toppik and dermmatch my hair in its current state looks presentable.

I am really worried about shock loss hitting in a few weeks though.

I know there's a lot of you who've traveled down this path already. Any words of advice?

To de-hat or not to de-hat, that is the question ? icon_biggrin.gif

PS > My blog has pics of my hair at 4 weeks, which is pretty similar to what it looks like now. I use dermatch to cover the scar and light "dusting" of toppik to add density

- badger

I havent see anyone I know since the HT so I havent needed to wear a ball cap. Ive only gone to the market a couple of times and just wear the blue surgical cap since its nice and light. I will be seeing family and a friend next weekend and I'd like to view that "excuses" thread. Do you have a link or know what page it is on?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Badger I think its safe to ditch the hat, if I were you maybe start ditching slowly a few days prior to the presentation, so its not a total surprise when everyone sees you. If they ask if anything is different, or why your hair is shorter etc... Either say summer cut its too warm, or lie and say your "wound" got infected and your had to rub some ointment on it and you didn't want to get your hair all messy sos you shaved it down... So far it looks like everything is coming along real nice....

Wantego one of my excuses was I passed out on my buddys boat over night, and since I couldn't make it to my buddys wedding (due to him going to Vegas for it, another lie) they clipped my hair and I woke up half way through "pissed".. When they asked why I just don't shave my head, I just tell them I don't like how my head looks shaved.

You only live once...

badger_01, I just saw your 4 week pics and IMO you could easily ditch the hat. There is a bit of lingering redness, but with this time of the year it would easily be mistaken for a sunburn.

Also agree w/ Arrie, that it'd be better to ditch the hat a day or 2 before the presentation, so it wouldn't be a surprise to people who notice your hair is shorter.

thanks for the responses guys! I've been hat free since the weekend and it really doesn't look that bad. I even had someone compliment me on my "new look". I just hope that any imminent shock-loss leaves me with enough coverage on top.

- badger