New member - looking for hair!!

Hello all,

I hope wish everyone a full set of hair for Christmas. I'm a 32year old who can no longer stand losing hair. I will upload pictures soon, but I'm African American and my baldness is mainly from the front. The dilemma started since I was in highschool and never stopped. I started fighting the baldness about 2 years ago by jumping on ProFollica. That didn't work after being on the pills and religiously using the shampoo. I switched to Prolivius for a while and got no where.

I decided to do further research and jumped on minixidol 15% and Revita shampoo. I have been seeing slow but steady regrowth with these two. Unfortunately since I've been using them around the same time, I truly dont know to which one do I owe the progress.

I first would like to know from those of you with experience, if I should STOP using Revita shampoo and just use the minoxidil. Also, are there anything else I could be using to keep (and hopefully get slow regrowth) of the hair I have left?

The truth is I dont have a lot of money right now since I recently went back to school and lost my job in January of this year. However, this baldness (which has made it rather difficult to pull the chicks) has truly got to me. I simply CANT stand being like this any more. I live in the Massachusetts area and can dedicate up to $2,500 to spend. Based on the graft calculator, it seemed like I would need perhaps around 1000 graphs. But of course if my money's too short, I'd settle for 800 or 750. Once I post my pictures, my hope is that you guy will not only point me to a decent/good surgeon, but one I can afford. I dont really care about having a FULL set of hair. I just DETEST having bald spots like I currently do.

Thanks in advance for your replies and keep watch for the pictures soon.

Hel

I have other pictures other than just one, but I dont see the option to upload more than 1 picture (attachment) per post.

IMG_0614.JPG.cf87d257db744f71f3be8b2121f3c72e.JPG

Welcome Helmania,

Even though the graft calculator can give you a rough idea of the grafts you may need, I strongly suggest you consult with a number of doctors recommended on this site. You can find a list of them -here-. You should send them some high quality photos and relay to them your goals.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but maybe now isn't the right time for a transplant, $2500 wont get you very far. It is far better to save the money in order to get the right amount of grafts, than to sacrifice grafts because of your finances. You run the risk of being very disappointed with the results and it will only cost you more in the long run (not only in monetary terms).

If you are seeing results with Minoxidil and Revita, and you can afford both, I'd stick with your current regime. It may be that the combination of the two is giving you the results and not just one of the products; I'd also consider Finasteride.

Thank you Maxxy for your generous reply. Would you say perhaps 5000 would achieve a more solid result based on my 2 pictures? I will look at the list of recommended doctors you have provided me.

Regarding Finasteride, I have googled it and can't seem to find anywhere I can order it. I tend to buy all of my stuff from amazon.com and I could only find books about finasteride there. Where can I order this medicine please? I assume it's a pill since the sites mentioned 1mg and 5mg. Just let me know where.

thank you once again!

Hey Helmania,

I'm not sure if $5000 would cut it in the US either, if you consult with a few doctors they will send you an estimated graft number and the cost based on that estimate. Another option is to travel - $5000 in Thailand, Pakistan or India should be to get you where you want to be, again, consult with various doctors to get a good idea.

I usually buy mine from www.unitedpharmacies.com however there are many online stores that stock Proscar (Finasteride).

Finasteride, is more commonly known as Proscar and Propecia; they are the same drug only at different dosages. Proscar contains 5mg of Finasteride where as Propecia only contains 1mg.

You want to take around 1mg per day, most people (including myself) buy Proscar and cut it into 4 pieces giving you roughly 1.25mg per piece at a greatly reduced cost.

Most people will recommend you try Finasteride for a year before considering a transplant (which would give you time to save).

Like maxxy said, it must be so tough to hear, "I think you should wait".

Your safe bet would be to use fin everyday for a year. Along with minox...thats even better. But the fin will not only help slow down your loss and (cross your fingers) possibly help some regrowth, it will importantly help strengthen your follicles for a possible upcoming HT which may greatly reduce shockloss.

My take on your pictures...you circled your hairline temple area which I assume is which youd like to improve. What if you spend the money needed, get that area taken care of and because of the trauma to the surrounding areas, whats in between your newly transplanted area may take on dramatic shockloss and or continue to fall out.

Then what are you left with? What do you do from there? Are you ready to jump back into the seat again? Will you have the funds to do so? If not, will you be comfortable with what your left with? These are alot of questions you have to ask yourself.

Thank you maxxy and diamond for your replies. If I should not do any type of HT soon, do you believe Finasteride will bring my hair back the natural way?

If not, what exactly will I accomplish by taking Finasteride for a full year first?

Diamond, if I'm currently taking minixidil to keep what I have, why would after a HT, for the middle part of my hair to suddenly completely fall out. I dont understand what "shockloss" is. Please elaborate more.

thanks

Hey Helmania,

The choice to have a transplant is yours, we can only give our opinions and advice. No one can tell you what effect Finasteride will have on you, unfortunately the only way to find out is to try it. Finasteride has and does regrow hair for some, though this shouldn't be expected. However, there is a very good chance of it stopping or slowing any further loss.

The reason many advise taking it for a full year prior to a transplant is that is often time needed to give the drug a chance and measure any benefits. If you haven't noticed any change within a year it's fair to assume that you are a non-responder.

Shock-loss is the temporary/permanent loss of native hair as a result of the trauma caused during the transplant process. Shock-loss is a fairly common occurrence in the donor area and also while transplanting into thinning areas. In the vast majority of cases any loss in the donor area is temporary, however if you transplant into thinning areas and suffer shock-loss there is a higher risk of some weakened hair not returning.

Thanks for explaining shockloss Maxxy.

HelMania- Maxxy basically summed it all up. Its possible for the lost hair to grow back as its just a temporary shock from the work being done in the surrounding area. But then again, if the lost hair due to "shock loss" was good to go one day or another due to mpb, its very possibly those hairs will not grow back.

Thats my best understanding of shock loss icon_smile.gif Hope it helps!

Thank you once again Maxxy and diamondlight. I hope you guys had a great xmas. Sadly, santa didn't bring me the only thing I asked for; a full set of hair icon_frown.gif

In other news, I have received my Fincar order. I read here that one should ingest only 1mg/day - well, mine is 5mg(a pill) and I truly dont see how on earth will I be able to break these, already minuscule pills, into two pieces - never mind four. So, I was wondering about the following:

1. What if I take it every other day so the dosage will be 2.5mg/day, is that bad?

2. Will anything beyond 1mg/day kill me, cause unpleasant side effects, shrink my penis, ect...

3. Is it better to take in the morning or at night before bed?

4. See question 2?

To give a little bit of good news to brighten the mood; I recently got a hair cut and I noticed the "bald" outline or crease that started forming around the sides of my head are less visible now. I suppose the minoxidil is really working. I can only hope Fincar will do it's part to make things better.

Happy New Year and may we all get a full set of hair icon_smile.gif

Hey Helmania,

With a razor blade you should be able to split the pill into 4, most people including myself split the pills into 4 giving you roughly 1.25mg. Another option is to dissolve the pill in 5ml of alcohol such as vodka, then put the liquid in a syringe and take 1ml per day.

Many people do as you have suggested and take 2.5mg every other day, some clinics even recommend this, though personally I prefer the everyday dosage.

Going over the 1mg per day shouldn't have any adverse effect and as I have said most people actually take 1.25mg per day. You would take 5mg per day if Proscar was being used as it is intended.

The time of day isn't important, however, you should try and take it at the same time everyday.

All the best for the New Year!