Hair transplants in TN

Hello all - first time post. I have visited this site many times and think it is great there is so much info here. I do however notice a ton of referrals for California docs. I just wanted to share I had my first HT at PAI here in Brentwood, TN with Dr. Bolton and have been AMAZED so far with the results. I have not heard a lot about PAI on these forums so just wanted to share that in case there was anyone local who was considering the surgery. I, LIKE EVERYONE HERE, was scared to death. Here in TN the commercials come on a lot and I always wanted to do it...but...seriously, was I REALLY going to go that extreme? My friends dad had the surgery and I could not believe how it looked. I am a newly wed and my wife was very supportive. I had the surgery in December and on March 13th I started noticing new hairs coming in. I cannot tell you how great it feels...For the past year I have started combing my hair down so once I had the surgery I just continued and am still doing that now until it has fully grown out. I had what they referred to as a "Level 8" around $7 or $8,000 in all. Dr. Bolton said he tries to help out the younger guys so he said after the surgery he gave me a "Level 12". This covered my entire front until about halfway back. I was most nervous about the scar but after 1 month it was already looking fairly normal. My advice to young guys my age with still decent coverage: DO IT NOW! I am not going to sugar coat it. I asked for 2 weeks off of work during Christmas and that was a perfect time to do it. I think though, that if I did not have some hair to cover it would have looked pretty bad. I do not want to deter anyone from getting one, but that is the truth. (In my case). Anyways - thought I would share. Thanks everyone for the great info. And no...I would rather not sure pics at this time but I promise an update in a couple of months.

Hello all - first time post. I have visited this site many times and think it is great there is so much info here. I do however notice a ton of referrals for California docs. I just wanted to share I had my first HT at PAI here in Brentwood, TN with Dr. Bolton and have been AMAZED so far with the results. I have not heard a lot about PAI on these forums so just wanted to share that in case there was anyone local who was considering the surgery. I, LIKE EVERYONE HERE, was scared to death. Here in TN the commercials come on a lot and I always wanted to do it...but...seriously, was I REALLY going to go that extreme? My friends dad had the surgery and I could not believe how it looked. I am a newly wed and my wife was very supportive. I had the surgery in December and on March 13th I started noticing new hairs coming in. I cannot tell you how great it feels...For the past year I have started combing my hair down so once I had the surgery I just continued and am still doing that now until it has fully grown out. I had what they referred to as a "Level 8" around $7 or $8,000 in all. Dr. Bolton said he tries to help out the younger guys so he said after the surgery he gave me a "Level 12". This covered my entire front until about halfway back. I was most nervous about the scar but after 1 month it was already looking fairly normal. My advice to young guys my age with still decent coverage: DO IT NOW! I am not going to sugar coat it. I asked for 2 weeks off of work during Christmas and that was a perfect time to do it. I think though, that if I did not have some hair to cover it would have looked pretty bad. I do not want to deter anyone from getting one, but that is the truth. (In my case). Anyways - thought I would share. Thanks everyone for the great info. And no...I would rather not sure pics at this time but I promise an update in a couple of months.

I went for a Level 21 and when I found out they were actually going to shave my brain---- I stopped!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif J/K

Anyway, thanks for your post, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Unfortunately, we will have to put your recommendation and glowing report of Dr. Bolton on hold until we see some pics that document your progress.

If and when you decide to post some pics, it would be nice if you included some immediate post-op photos as well.

It is always good to hear and see patient reports from new docs.

Happy Healing and Good Growing!!!!!

Hope to see some pics soon!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

26-

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. I second B spot's comments about adding some pics so we can see where you've been and where you're at. icon_smile.gif

Most people with loss usually refer to the number of grafts and hairs when attempting to describe the work they received and tend to use the Norwood Scale in reference to hair loss. Do you know how many grafts you received?

Again.....glad to hear of your experience, hope you'll be able to post some pics........happy growing to you. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

HA! yea...I figured throwing out a doctor's name might put me in the category of "advertising". Honestly not the case though. My balding was not that apparent to be honest. I think I was like the very first Norwood category if I remember...(No balding in back, only front.) Even my friends dad who had the surgery could not understand why I was having it. BUT - it was just because I combed it in a way that was hard to uncover. (Hair spray works wonders) icon_wink.gif I did take pictures the day of the surgery (at home). And I took some earlier this month as it started growing in. I hate to sound rude...but...as much as I would love to share, I am just not at the point where I want to willingly show my face. I am sure others just visiting can understand. I applaud those who do, but I personally would rather not at this time. As far as "how many grafts did I have" GOOD QUESTION! I know that sounds bad, but I am really not quite sure. I would not say I rushed into the surgery, but...I sure wish I would have done more research on these types of forums prior to having it done. I know that they filled me in very well until a little past the middle of my head and the surgery took around 4 hours. I guess I just knew someone personally that went through the surgery and had the same level done...I realized though that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. My older brother has the thickest hair you have ever seen. My younger brother is completely bald. I was right in the middle with amazingly thick dirty blonde back and side hair but thin on top. SO - here is the real truth - I went to the PAI place in Brentwood. I had the surgery done and MINE SO FAR has gone just like I expected. They numbed my head, I was on drugs for a few days. (Actually I could have been off of them after about 3 days but...I was off work anyways. icon_wink.gif I am just a regular guy who still can't believe I did it BUT I am glad I did.

26-

Glad you're enjoying the forum.........careful, it can be addicting icon_wink.gif! Seriously, anyone experiencing loss knows how it feels, it's nice to come to a place with this in common and to share ideas to help each other.

As for the pics, I completely understand not wanting to show your face...........my way around this has been to use a photo editing option with MS Paint, I think?? It should come standard with any PC having Windows software. This allows you to erase or modify any parts you don't want seen. See my Hair Loss Blog for reference.

I encourage you to participate. The reason we like seeing pics obviously is to evaluate the quality of work provided by any given Doc. Since we haven't seen yours it would be great to view those pics.

Either way, welcome to the forum icon_cool.gif!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thank you hairbank! I might try that. I know it is MUCH easier to to believe when you see the proof in pictures. If I sent the pictures from earlier this month you might not notice anything. BUT - if you have gone through with the surgery you know even one hair is enough to make you excited. I realized something else today that I thought was universal...PAI does the "Multi-grafting" surgery. I have not read a lot about that type on this forum. I hear a lot about FU, FUE, etc...(Which honestly I do not know a lot about). If anyone has done the "multi grafting" surgery please let me know. I posted a message earlier to see if anyone has been to PAI and have yet to have 1 reply. Oh well - I guess I will be the test subject here in Tennessee if anyone is thinking about the surgery around this area.

Entire surgery only took 4 hours? That would make me guess it was around 1,500-2,000 grafts? Please do post immediately post op pics, I'm curious to see, as well as a graft count if you could.

Also, we all understand your reluctance to show your face and believe me, folks here probably don't care to see it either. I'm sure it's a great-looking face but what we're interested in is the hair icon_wink.gif Just edit the pictures in MS Paint or something.

Hi

1500 -2000 can take longer than that.. it also depends how many persons are placing the grafts,

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey guys - It took a little over 4 hours if I remember. I am going to write my contact at PAI to see how many grafts that equals. According to the PAI site though they seem to do something a little bit different by transplanting 2-3 hairs at the same time...maybe that is the same as everyone, not sure. Also, I think there were 2-3 people transplanting at one time. Anyone else stare in the mirror constantly waiting for their hair to come in?? (My wife thinks I am obsessed) icon_wink.gif It is amazing though to see my hair line coming back. As I said, I did not appear that bald to others to begin with but seeing the hair coming back on my temples is...awesome.

We ALL stared at the mirror waiting for the hair to come in at one time or another icon_cool.gif! You're not alone!

As for transplanting 2-3 hairs.............these are known as multiple unit grafts. FU stands for follicular units which may consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or even 5 or 6 hair grafts. Usually, surgeons will trim them in order to have enough 1-hair grafts for any hairline work to avoid a pluggy look, then distribute the rest as they see fit. You may want to find out how your surgeon approached this but, in reality, it is in the past and you just need to let the hair come in.

You may want to read this thread which has definitions to many of the terms used here..........might help with your understanding of follicular units/grafts..etc,. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks Hairbank! Yep...too late now! icon_wink.gif I will be better prepared in case I have to go in for a second one. (Been on propecia for 5 months/Rogaine for 3 years) Hair from the middle back is extremely full and thick.