1 month post-op question

Hey you guys, I have a quick question. I'm about 1 month post-op and I heard your hairs are suppossed to fall out like between 12 and 16 days. Is it normal for me to still have around 90-95% of my hairs still intact? I notice them growing, but I have been waiting for them to fall out and they aren't yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Andy

Hey you guys, I have a quick question. I'm about 1 month post-op and I heard your hairs are suppossed to fall out like between 12 and 16 days. Is it normal for me to still have around 90-95% of my hairs still intact? I notice them growing, but I have been waiting for them to fall out and they aren't yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Andy

sorry I forgot to mention I had a hair transplant by Dr.Frayser in Oklahoma. 800 grafts to fix my hairline, even though it doesn't look like 800 to me. icon_smile.gif

hey friend you beat me to the question, i too still have hair, on the graphs i am 3 weeks now and hell not all scabs are gone, and in some areas the hiar did fall out with the scabs others it did not, i would say that i have 80 percent of the hair , kind of cool if they don't fall out, and keep growing , good luck

Andy7

(i can't believe i'm going to beat Bill in answering this question, but here it goes)

Dude, get ready because sooner or later those puppies are more than likely going to jump ship...I held onto mine for about 2 months and thought for sure I was home free and ready to start growing.

Nope. Didn't happen for me.

It seems that for most all of us, the transplanted hairs will shed and what remains will go dormat. And somewhere down the road, if you had a decent surgeon, then most of the transplanted hairs will enter into the growth phase (shedding phase-dormant phase-growth phase = natural life cycle of hair (in that order) ).

This seems to be inevitable for most all of us.

Good Luck Andy7!

(and Good Luck rafael...i responded to andy before I noticed your post)

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Andy,

[quote[

Quoted by Middleson:

Dude, get ready because sooner or later those puppies are more than likely going to jump ship...I held onto mine for about 2 months and thought for sure I was home free and ready to start growing.

What he said icon_wink.gif.

HK500,

Some HT patients lose the new hair, some don't, it's perfectly normal.

I disagree. I haven't met or talked to a patient yet who didn't lose the majority of their transplanted hair by 2 months post op (though most lose them by 1 month post op). Some hairs may not jump ship...but typically about 95% of them do.

Bill

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Bill:

Andy,

[quote[

Quoted by Middleson:

HK500,

I disagree. I haven't met or talked to a patient yet who didn't lose the majority of their transplanted hair by 2 months post op (though most lose them by 1 month post op). Some hairs may not jump ship...but typically about 95% of them do.

Bill

Whoa!!! you're saying that of the 7550 grafts only about 500 remain. I'm a 2 day old HT and these stats sound miserable. Is this what I have to look forward to?

milestogo,

Welcome to our community.

No...you misunderstand me.

What I mean is that almost ALL the transplanted hairs fall out between 2-4 weeks post op and then they all start growing back between 3-5 months and fully mature at 12 months. The transplanted hair goes into "rest" phase and will then rise again.

I hope this makes more sense.

Bill

Bill,

It's good to be here.

Thanks for clearing that up. The natrual life cycle is understood.

I'm in day 2 (post-op) with about 1900 grafts. Suprisingly the donor area suture isn't too bad in the pain department. Itches a bit now and then, but have had paper cuts that bothered me more.

Wish I would have found this site before my HT, but based on what I've found I think I made a good choice on the doctor. I'll try and post on my progress. Well thanks again.

MTG

Originally posted by milestogo:
Originally posted by Bill:

Andy,

[quote[

Quoted by Middleson:

HK500,

Bill

Whoa!!! you're saying that of the 7550 grafts only about 500 remain. I'm a 2 day old HT and these stats sound miserable. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Is it possible that the hairs that Andy7 sees growing are the original interspersed hairs on his scalp, and since they are growing, they will not fall out due to shock loss?

If the hairs he sees growing are HT hairs, and they are in fact growing, could they still fall out at this point?

I guess that means I have one question - if hair is growing (regardless of origin) 3 to 4 weeks after surgery, does that mean it is there to stay?

Hi folks,

Sorry to chime in so late; for me, while some fell off with the scabs, other hairs did stay on until about a month and a half and did start to grow but as predicted, they pretty much all fell out leaving me hanging icon_biggrin.gif

I'm fast approaching 6 months and they are sprouting. I think you can all pretty much count on them falling off, if they have not yet done so consider this just a small reprieve.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day