Is this Surgeon Rushing Me?

Hey, guys. I'm a first time poster to the forum and a long time lurker. I've been researching surgical hair restoration sporadically for the last few years, and seriously for the last few months. I finally took the first step and contacted a surgeon's office within the last week.

I'm having a dilema here and could really use some advice from you veterans.

I emailed some pics and scheduled a consultation for next month. Today I got an email from the office staff saying that they would be willing to do the procedure on the day I scheduled for the consult...or even earlier. Did I mention that I have only ever spoken to the doctor via email?

I should be excited, but I've spent too much time reading the stuff on sites like this one to not be really paranoid about bald-domed butchery.

Please let me know what you guys think. The top of my frickin' head is at stake here!!

Hey, guys. I'm a first time poster to the forum and a long time lurker. I've been researching surgical hair restoration sporadically for the last few years, and seriously for the last few months. I finally took the first step and contacted a surgeon's office within the last week.

I'm having a dilema here and could really use some advice from you veterans.

I emailed some pics and scheduled a consultation for next month. Today I got an email from the office staff saying that they would be willing to do the procedure on the day I scheduled for the consult...or even earlier. Did I mention that I have only ever spoken to the doctor via email?

I should be excited, but I've spent too much time reading the stuff on sites like this one to not be really paranoid about bald-domed butchery.

Please let me know what you guys think. The top of my frickin' head is at stake here!!

DonorForHire, Your right in your thoughts. If the doctor is rushing you into a procedure before looking at your situation, Run away. Read the forums, and take your time. The one thought that was on my mind during my investigations was this: Remember you see your decision that you make ever time that you look into the mirror!-Bonzo

Yup,Who was the "surgeon"? Florida? Orlando or Maitland? The Dr. sounds like he would rush your surgery too. Trust your instincts!

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Donorforhire,

Take a look at these guidelines for choosing a great hair restoration physician. They are extremely invaluable for finding a talented, ethical doctor that you can be sure is looking out for your best interest:

How to pick a Hair Restoration Physician

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Donorforhire take alook at my website which is www.inperth.com.au/users/damo/ and see how it took me 4 long years of research before i finally decided togo for a Ht with the surgeon i choose.The forum moderator is right take your time in deciding on this as its life changing and cant be reversed easily if not ever.But on a good note it was worth everycent my friend.

Damo

If your doctor or advisor is pushing/rushing you into an appointment then that should be a red sign. Now if he just mentioned what dates he has available and left it your decision that fine, but if he is pushing you to a quick decision, he does not have your interest in mind--just your $$$$$$$$.

Keep looking at other docs.

Now would be a good time to tell you guys that this doctor is Dr. Jeffrey Epstein from Miami. Try as I might, my Googling has found nothing but good reviews about him, and this site is no exception. I didn't want to color your responses, so I intentionally didn't mention who it was in my first post. Sorry to be misleading. I spoke with him by phone yesterday, and he was very personable. He told me that, since most of his patients are from out of town, he does the majority of consultations by email, with further examination the day of the procedure. I'm meeting with him in the next few days, where he will perform a "test" for an FUE procedure, where they will extract a few follicular units and examine them to see how they survive. If I'm a candidate, I could have a conservative procedure of about 500 grafts at the end of next month. Please, continue to give me feedback, guys. I appreciate all of it and this is a really tough decision for me. Thanks.

Why does Epstein have to do a test for Fue? If I were you I would look around and see his patients that have had Fue at least as many grafts as you want to have, and then possibly go forward. I had successful FUE performed and a test was just not necessary at all.

Why would you want to have 500 grafts put in your head? It will do nothing for you and look rediculous when you loose more hair either naturally or from the proceedure.Just because there is no scar does not mean it is not SURGERY if you think you have a minor hair problem now that could be addressed with 500 grafts you are not seeing the whole picture.Just so you know if you put transplants with your existing hair they are much different in several ways. Keep reading .

Actually I thought of a good analogy in regards to early hairloss and FUE. A drug dealer will usually give a prospective buyer his first FIX for free or cheaply in order to hook him. Once they get you you are hooked .Sound ethical NO but they are not Doctors either.Why are Doctors setting people up for something they cannot finish. There are new techniques being developed to remedy hairloss WAIT. No hairtransplant doctor will tell you this so I will. Former thinning N/W 2 now scraggly scared up N/W 5.

Franklin, who did your FUE and do you have pics? The test procedure he is referring to is basically the same as the NHI FOX test. Some people apparently aren't candidates for FUE and this test is supposed to rule them out.

Mahair, Dr. E told me that he doesn't do FUE megasessions. With a pure FUE procedure, he doesn't move more than 500 grafts at a time. What did you mean by "transplants with your existing hair are much different in several ways?"

To be honest, this whole experience so far has been pretty uncomfortable. I'll tell that story later, though.

The hair on the front/top is much different in several ways. The front has a thinner hair diameterwhich has a feathery NATURAL look wereas transplanted hair is course and sometimes wirey othertimes like catfish wiskers. The pigment/color is also different. You might have to dye your hair. Your real hair is connected to your nervous system an responds to your environment hence the expression "my hair was standing on end".transplanted hair is in a fixed position and stays in one position which will never chang.sometimes looking bizzare unless your train it and use adjuncts , hairspray, gell, etc. A tuft like appearance. Most if not all of your frontal hair is individual hair the back is one two and three hair groups. they don't look natural.Density it i mechanicly impossible to get the hair to your natural density. and there is NEVER enough hair DONOR to do it. The hair will remain there for the rest of your life. Sounds go hair for life. Unfortunately the other hair on the top and sides wont be so you will have hair (Grafts)were you no longer want it.

First off I will adress mahair. Yes getting transplants for minimal loss might not be the best of ideas in general. I will agree. But here is my case. I am 42 years old and was thinning at a slow pace even before I used any treatments at all. I am now almost 2.5 years out from my Fue. 1100 grafts put in to a rather small thinning area I really do not fit on n/w scale. I am happy to say in my particular case it was a great success for me. I no longer worry about my hair. Take 1/4 proscar every other day since the transplant.I have been on minox short while with retin A (re-mox)And alternate with nizoral shampoo few times a week. Well this might not be a cure all in my particular case my treatment plan is working for me. I will also like to add that there is not only one way to approach a particular hairloss situation and if you look long and hard and do your research you just may find a great option for yourself. Just to add If and when I ever need more I have around at least 5000 more head hair grafts to harvest and that is not even considering body hair I do have some down the road. Young guy's should take a very cautious approach though in my opinion. DonorForHire I went to Dr. Ray Woods Australia . Great experince for me. And my hair is looking better today.Look on this site for a link to my photos in the Search feature type in Franklin photos you will see my 9month progress.

Dr. Epstein is an excellent surgeon and a stand up guy. I'm certain all his office told you was that they could accomodate you, which is very different from a high pressure sales push.

Could not agree with JacobS more. From my understanding the FOXX test for a FUE procedure is very familiar to the one that Drs. Bernstein and Rassman established if not the same one.

Albeit a more conservative approach for FUE candidacy, it surely cannot hurt to have it done. I think it's best to let Dr. Epstein make the call since he is the one you are considering and after all "he is the doctor". Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

DonorforHire,

I'm two months post HT. I did a lot of research before I allowed anyone to touch my head. The whole process was so confusing. I had three different consults and everyone told me something different. The recommended grafts were across the board. Anywhere between 800 to 1700. I ended up going with the physician I felt most conformable with and didn't have any pending or existing law suites or litigation. That was very important to me. Make sure you check him/her out really well and don't have any procedures with out physically meeting them.

The internet is great wealth of information, so don't rush or jump into anything.

Just "google" medical board and the state.

like "Medical Board Maine" or "Medical Board NY" and you should be able to find that state's medical licenseing board.

These sites will tell you everything about your doctor and if you can't find the doctor name find another doctor.

Actually the medical boards are useless. Dr. Magdalin not only disfigured my scalp but caused physical injury to me .Yes from a lousy hairtransplant . I reported him and gave details . They did not disipline him and if you do a search there is no record of it. The medical boards are for doctors by doctors.In plain english they suck and are not out for your interests. Although they do reveal the doctors training and board certifications if any. If the doctor has no hospital privaledges or is not board certified go elsewere.P.S. a certification in hair transplantation is a weekend seminar so don't be fooled. Anyway the process of the lawsuit has begun and I am hoping for litigation or 2.5 million dollars which I would gladly return to be put in my original state of health and happiness.

DonorForHire,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did Dr. Epstein (Or his office) PRESSURE you into getting the transplant the dayof your consultation or JUST offer...

The reason I am asking is the following...I had my HT with Dr. Epstein in Dec 04...after about 6 years of research....I just did not want to make a decision that I regret later...

I have had 11 online consultations with the 11 doctors most recommended on this site (Regardless of Geographic Location----the RIGHT way, in my opinion) and I felt most comfortable with Dr. Epstein as he answered ALL my questions, Set my expectations right....and Never called, sent me any advertisement or email to try to persuadee me into the surgery---In fact, Roxy told me after my consultation, that whenever I am ready, I should call to schedule...BUT SINCE I WAS AN OUT OF TOWNER....THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I GO FOR A ONE_ON_ONE CONSULTATION, AND I CHOOSE to do the surgery at the same time, THEY CAN ARRANGE FOR THAT........

ONE thing to remmember, HAIR transplant is an ART, not Brain surgery with major diagnosis etc.......in that symptoms are known, procedure is very mainstream now...The only variable being...DONOR DENSITY.......So from pictures....you can have 95% of the situations resolved....

That being said....YOU SHOULD NEVER BE RUSHED into such a procedure....you should do it at your own pace...and when you're ready....I am not sure about FUE, as Dr. Epstein performed a Strip of 3000 FU since I was a NW5...and with the strip, NOt even me, can locate the scar...(which I was freaky about the horror stories I read about Scar stretching and showing (And I owe that to Dr. Epstein).

To end, Please do not consider this a promotion of Dr. Epstein (Ultimately, YOU have to decide on the BEST surgeon you feel most comfortable with....)

but the best advice i can give you is to never limit yourself to location

HT with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein

Dec. 17, 2004

3029 FU--NW5