Confusion about Acne and Hairloss

ctmdb

Dear everyone in this open forum,

I am 26 boy, and once experienced severe Acne in my face and forehead during nearly 7 or 8 years since I was in highschool, and now, the Acne receeded gradually, but I am meeting a new trouble: hairloss on my topicon_frown.gif

I found hairloss from my top since begin of last year, and it seems to be thinner comparing with several years ago, I am so afraid about this, I do not want to lose my hair icon_frown.gif((

Does any friend or expert in this forum know somehow about this confusion, why I was suffered with Acne for so long years and now comes to new disease of hairloss on my top? is there some relations to maletype hairloss?

thank u in advance

regards

ct

Dear everyone in this open forum,

I am 26 boy, and once experienced severe Acne in my face and forehead during nearly 7 or 8 years since I was in highschool, and now, the Acne receeded gradually, but I am meeting a new trouble: hairloss on my topicon_frown.gif

I found hairloss from my top since begin of last year, and it seems to be thinner comparing with several years ago, I am so afraid about this, I do not want to lose my hair icon_frown.gif((

Does any friend or expert in this forum know somehow about this confusion, why I was suffered with Acne for so long years and now comes to new disease of hairloss on my top? is there some relations to maletype hairloss?

thank u in advance

regards

ct

ct,

Welcome to our community.

Acne and hair loss are both caused by different things. Though I can't speak for the acne (glad that's clearing up by the way for you), hair loss is most commonly caused by genetics. Click here for a detailed explanation of Androgenetic Alopecia (hereditary hair loss).

There are a few hair loss treatments that may be helpful to minimize/stop your hair loss. In rare cases they may even regrow some hair (reverse the miniaturization process).

I hope this helps you started on your research.

Best wishes,

Bill

ctmd brings up a concern I've always had about myself. I myself have suffered from quite persistant adult acne, starting in high school. And with the acne came the things often associated with acne, a face that was constantly oily/greasy. (BTW, my hair has always seemed to get "dirty" awfully quick as well. I always assumed this was due to my body producing freakish amounts of sebum.)

Here's my concern about hairloss. Isn't there some correlation between dht and sebum? I think I read that somewhere. And if someone produces tons more acne-causing sebum than most people.... wouldn't that also translate to hair loss problems at some point in their lives as well with all that dht in the sebum?

I am currently experiencing diffuse thinning in my hair, and I can't help think that there might be a relationship between people that have experienced excessive acne and people that develop hair loss problems.

I wonder, has there ever been a study or poll on this? You know, asking a thousand guys with hair issues if they've experienced worse-than-normal acne problems in their lives as well?

Space Ace,

This is a good question. There indeed might be a correlation of some kind...perhaps a doctor can add his/her thoughts on the subject.

I do know however, that whether or not there is a correlation that those with acne problems aren't necessarily doomed to suffer from hair loss, and many hair loss sufferers (such as myself who would be a Norwood 6 now) never had a bad acne problem.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

talk to your Doctor and get on Propecia or Proscar PRONTO! I waited too long and now I can only prevent more loss and do HT's to restore what's lost.

I take Proscar because its more cost effective...I just cut them in half and take half a tab a day. Dont wait until you lose more that 50% of your hair bro!

------------------------------

Im just your average teenager...just that I'm 31!

------------------------------