Beginners first questions

Hi, I'm new to this site, and glad I found it.

I have two primary questions:

* About how much does a decent hair transplant cost, going with one of the better doctors?

Based on what I've seen here, I'd guess I need a good 3500 grafts or so.

* Is it necessary to continue with propecia or other treatments indefinitely after the surgery? Like, forever?

Hi, I'm new to this site, and glad I found it.

I have two primary questions:

* About how much does a decent hair transplant cost, going with one of the better doctors?

Based on what I've seen here, I'd guess I need a good 3500 grafts or so.

* Is it necessary to continue with propecia or other treatments indefinitely after the surgery? Like, forever?

Chromer-

Welcome to HTN icon_smile.gif!

First - a hair transplant, on average, will cost around $4.50 per grafts for up to 2000 grafts, then $2.50 per graft for any additional. This is just an average........some are a little higher, some a little lower. If you are going to get a HT, I recommend you select from one of our Coalition Surgeons recommended here. Their results are proven and we consider them to be the best of the best.

Yes.........you really need to be taking Propecia (Finasteride) or using Minoxidil for loss prevention. Unless you're a Norwood 6 or so, you likely will continue with loss so you need to do something to halt the loss or, at the least, slow it down.

Care to share any pics of your situation? How did you come up with 3500 grafts, just by comparing with results here?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Ballpark figure, $12k-$15k. Basically, tuck at least part of that bonus check away icon_smile.gif

Yes, you will need to continue with the meds forever, unless medical science advances to the point that another solution is found. The meds available today are effective at preventing hair loss as long as they're in your system, hair loss is not something you can "cure" because it's a genetic predisposition.

Your other options are a) shave your head, b) get a wig or c) ignore hair loss. Sucky, huh?

Chromer,

I received 3524 grafts last week - crown middle top and brought the hairline down about an inch - borderline NW4. Including everything, more than $11 k but also a good bit under $12k.

Of course factor in the maintenance, Propecia or whatever when you are considering the cost but, heck, I wish I would have started that years ago. Looking back, I think knowing Propecia would run $60 or $70 a month didn't appeal to me. Course I didn't know about generic finesteride and the ability to cut the tabs. The cool thing is this is covered under my plan and only cost me $20 for 30 pills (a 120 day supply).

To think, I could have saved more hair for $0.20 a day about kills me now. Perhaps I wouldn't have needed 3500 grafts or could have had even greater coverage with the grafts they did harvest. While you are considering the HT, I would go ahead and get on a regimen for saving what you have (and perhaps even reversing some of what you are losing).