FU's only?????

I'm wondering about the FU only procedure(s). I recently saw someone who had a 3000 FU procedure. There was virtually no density whatsoever. Seems like alot of money for what appears as a little additional hair growing. This then incourages you to go back for more. Which again hits the pocket book. FU's definitely give a natural appearance, but no density without many procedures and lots of money. And, I've been told by a respected doctor on this site that most men only have approximately 6000 total donor hairs if your in the Norwood 5 and higher classification. Any comments????

I'm wondering about the FU only procedure(s). I recently saw someone who had a 3000 FU procedure. There was virtually no density whatsoever. Seems like alot of money for what appears as a little additional hair growing. This then incourages you to go back for more. Which again hits the pocket book. FU's definitely give a natural appearance, but no density without many procedures and lots of money. And, I've been told by a respected doctor on this site that most men only have approximately 6000 total donor hairs if your in the Norwood 5 and higher classification. Any comments????

Every patient has to find the balance between density (nearness of the grafts to each other), and the amount of area those grafts can cover. There is a limited amount of donor hair, so almost everyone will have to choose between the two. That's why many transplant patients wind up with very thin or bald crowns. There is not enough donor hair for density AND "full coverage". If you read the article "The Logic of Follicular Unit Transplantation" in the "Research Library" section of this website, it explains this concept in detail. It proves mathematically that Minigrafts can never provide "more density", only bigger gaps between the grafts you have. (They are not as efficient).

Hair transplants do not result in big bushy hair like you had as a teen. A good one might look like you've been thinning and receding, but like you've managed to hang on to some of your original hair. It is not a "full head of hair".

Also, comparing what your results might be, to other patients that you see, requires a little caution. They may have had more (or less) balding, or donor density, or more or less favorable factors in their corner than you do. A good doctor will be able to tell you exactly what to expect, in relation to those other patients.

The "density issue" you are seeing is a limitation of ALL hair transplants, not just the Follicular Unit transplants. Go for the most natural looking grafts (FUs), because if your grafts don't look natural, it doesn't matter how much density you have!