how long will it take to grow new hair

hifriend

hi,

i underwent HT last year end once(in nov) and second sitting in mid jan. both 1500 grafts ( first on the frontal and next -mid scalp) the front hair has started to grow and people have started noticing it.. themid scalp section .. i can feel the stubble but the coverage is still not there. can u tell me wen can teh full coverage b expected.. it is high time right?

secondly, is it worth it to graft on the occipital area as i dont think propecia helps?

hi,

i underwent HT last year end once(in nov) and second sitting in mid jan. both 1500 grafts ( first on the frontal and next -mid scalp) the front hair has started to grow and people have started noticing it.. themid scalp section .. i can feel the stubble but the coverage is still not there. can u tell me wen can teh full coverage b expected.. it is high time right?

secondly, is it worth it to graft on the occipital area as i dont think propecia helps?

Hair usually starts to grow 3 months-4 months (visible growth) after transplantation, although there have been scattered reports of growth delayed more than such time. We recommend waiting 9-12 months before you evaluate the results of the prior surgery. By waiting this amount of time, you have a reasonable concept of the results of that session. Whether you do other areas such as the crown is obviously something you and your physician should decide.

B.L. Limmer, MD/ jal icon_cool.gif

Dr. Limmer

Hi, as stated somewhere else on this board I am happy to report that regrow has set in after 6 weeks.

I wonder if age is a factor is faster recovery/regrowt. I am 33 now and this was my first HT.

Although I am happy with the way the procedure went I might wait another 5 years of so for my crown, which is not completely bald yet.

I hope that by that time hair cloning will be available and affordeble. From looking at the advances that are being made in labs I think about 5 years should be a reasonable time frame.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

hi, dr.limmer

thanks for the suggestion. i think i'll have to wait 4 another couple of months before evaluating fully. BTW, there has been a lot of dandre=uff nowadays and i am pretty scared to take them off as the grafts come off with it.. kindly lemme know wat to do 4 this

pls reply

• 5 weeks later...

Don't be afraid to shampoo your hair regularly- I recommend daily. It will not harm the grafts after they are healed well (7-10 days). If dandruff is a problem, try DHS-Zinc Shampoo or Head aand Shoulders Intensive Care formula. These usually work well and can be bought without a prescription.

Dr. Limmer/jal icon_smile.gif

Dr. Limmer

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
the shampoos we used were the intensive treatment ones - both the regular white-bottled kind, and the kind containing selenium (in the dark blue bottle)

Hmm... I started using the dark blue bottle head and shoulders intensive solutions every once in a while. Guess I'll have to stop that for now. Mine says the active ingredient is 2% pyrithione zinc. No other ingredients are listed.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

fallcrystalz,

Welcome to our community.

This is the first time I've actually heard anybody report this. Since this is not a known fact, I'd recommend that both you and your mom see a dermatologist to determine what might be happening.

Is the hair loss you have experienced visible? In other words...does your hair look thinner now as a result? Did the hair loss stop once you stopped using head and shoulders?

Bill