shock loss on first HT vs second HT

Pete,

Yes, and this is the exact thing that happened to me. If you follow the link to my hair restoration journey below and then the links to my photo albums, you'll see donor shock loss only occurred on the second surgery, not the first and third. The good news is, the shocked hair did return and will in most cases.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Best wishes,

Bill

Shock loss is not totally predictable. Of course, if your procedure is performed correctly, the chances of shock loss are less. You may get shock from the first and/or the second surgery, though. I would add also that transplanted hair is typically more resilient than thinning native hair. So, if your doctor transplants grafts into a naturally thinning area of scalp, you might experience temporary shock loss. If your second surgery addresses the same area of the recipient zone, the previously transplanted hair should be less susceptible to shock loss.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My own experience, especially with regards to female patients, has been that, if shocking did occur, it was much more likely on the first session and much more unusual on the second one. My way of understanding this has been that I assume the more vulnerable hair follicles, which are on one of their last life cycles, get bumped off with the first insult (the first session) and then at the second session, the transplanted hairs from the first session plus the presumed stronger surviving "native" hairs are less resistant to shocking. I agree that it can happen both ways, but in my experience has been much more likely with the first session.

Mike Beehner, M.D.