Rogaine - increases hair loss?

isolence

Hey all! I initially observed hair loss as I lost hair in my left side temple and started losing in crown area. So I started using Scalp Med, and initially there was lot of shedding but hair loss stopped. In this process I lost lot of hair on the frontal scalp too. I was told by the customer service that initially there will be lot of shedding because all the dead cells go away. So I continued but the side effects of it were hell, like really really itchy scalp and dandruff once I go out during day. So I stopped using it and got Minoxidil 5% and started using it as Minoxidil is the only active ingredient in Scalp Med. I started using Minoxidil from a week now but there is no growth of the lost hair and I could see more scalp in the frontal area (some more hairs were lost making it more visible). Is it common to lose more hair? Or did I start using a wrong product? I want to use Minoxidil 5% persistently with Nizoral twice a week...So what is my situation now. Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

isolence,

You are right that minoxidil 5% is the active ingredient in Scalp Med. If you are using the minoxidil liquid, it contains propylene glycol which has a tendency to irritate the scalp. The Rogaine foam with minoxidil 5% does not contain this ingredient.

Minoxidil may cause a temporary shedding, but does not cause or facilitate permanent hair loss. However, stopping the medication will result in a loss of all benefit.

Best wishes,

Bill