How deep is the follicle implanted?

Just a quick question as i was curious as to how deep a follicle is implanted. Just because i removing the scabs and i have very dry skin which is flaking now from keeping it moist with water pretty much all the time. Basicly im just wondering if keeping the skin moist with flakey skin has any effect or can expose the follicle in any way. Making it easy to come out. my scabs are coming off now 4 weeks post op but still slowly. I don't know why it has taken this long while other people heal so quick!?

Nevermind, that might be a stupid question but im just paranoid. I basicly have alot of scabs with soft/moist skin under and both the scabs and skin are flaking from the moisture of shower and bath.

hairgogo,

Welcome to our hair restoration forum community.

Though everyone heals at different rates, I have found that a number of hair transplant patients are too delicate with the transplanted hair and scabs for longer than they need too. Even before this point (but you can start now), you could have been working the scabs in the shower with shampoo by massaging the scabs with your finger tips (not the nails) in circular motions.

In my situation, between day 6 and 10, I showered twice a day and spent 10 extra minutes per shower strictly doing these finger tip circular massages around the scabs to gently work them off.

The grafts are well seated now and deep enough in your scalp where they would have to be surgically removed at this point.

Nevertheless, do not pick at the scabs with your finger nails and follow the above instructions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dont worry about the depth, if they go tooo deep you will start saying strange stuff and white gel like blubber will suddenly pop out from the holes. But dont worry, if you survive the hair will grow icon_smile.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Hairgo,

Here is what a follicle or follicular unit graft looks like. A follicle is implanted according to the size of the graft. Follicle sizes range in size from 4-8 mm. I have enclosed a photo examples of 1, 2, 3, hair follicular units.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Jupiter FL

follicle2.JPG.19211f2b0a8b1d0f006a39ef7f5cf92a.JPG

Thanks for the pics doc. Gives a good idea of the difference in size of the grafts and why there is a need for different incisions.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Guest wanthairs

My Doc, Epstein told me he had to implant my follicles a litle bit deeper than normal due to my ethnic characteristics (middle eastern).....I actually never heard reference to this before he mentioned it. Maybe thats why im a bit of a slow grower....

Want hairs:

The incision depth usually matches the length of the follicle or graft. You probably had longer follicles which may have required a deeper incision. BUt the grafts or grafts are not buried deep beneath the skin. The correct terminology should probably be I had longer follicles requiring a deeper incision. If the incisions are made too shallow, the techs will have a hard time planting the grafts and they will not fit nicely.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Hair Transplant Network Physician

Jupiter FL