Post-Op: Wait a year before starting Rogaine?

Hi all,

I am just over 3 weeks post-op ; very happy so far; all is well. [i chose a quality surgeon thanks to the HTN forums!]

I've been taking 1mg finasteride daily for over 3 years. I'm a diffused thinner and so was considering adding Rogaine to my regimen to help keep the natural hairs, in between the new hairs.

My question is:

Is it better to wait a year and see the results of my op and then decide to use Rogaine?...

or should I just take my chances and get on it right away?

If I start it now, then in 1 year after the new grafts are fully visible, it will be difficult for me to know if Rogaine is making any real difference!

Also, The Pfizer test stats say only 55% of test subjects noticed an improvement....does that 55% only account for regrowth or does it also include subjects who just maintained current hair numbers? {Leaving 45% with no affect??}

Any thoughts would be great...

Regards,

Ultraman

Hi all,

I am just over 3 weeks post-op ; very happy so far; all is well. [i chose a quality surgeon thanks to the HTN forums!]

I've been taking 1mg finasteride daily for over 3 years. I'm a diffused thinner and so was considering adding Rogaine to my regimen to help keep the natural hairs, in between the new hairs.

My question is:

Is it better to wait a year and see the results of my op and then decide to use Rogaine?...

or should I just take my chances and get on it right away?

If I start it now, then in 1 year after the new grafts are fully visible, it will be difficult for me to know if Rogaine is making any real difference!

Also, The Pfizer test stats say only 55% of test subjects noticed an improvement....does that 55% only account for regrowth or does it also include subjects who just maintained current hair numbers? {Leaving 45% with no affect??}

Any thoughts would be great...

Regards,

Ultraman

what is your doctor recommending about the use of rogaine after the HT? My doctor said i can use it 2 weeks afer the HT. I started using minoxidil topical solution after the 4 weeks of my HT.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

Yes my doc said the same thing; Minoxidil treatment can begin 2 weeks post-op. I was just hesitating because of the life long commitment with Rogaine. I realize now that my main goal should be to delay a second HT for as long as possible. I know that adding minoxidil to my Propecia regimen will improve my chances of keeping the natural hairs.

I've decided to use just 1 cap (or less) a day of Rogaine foam. Usually when I get home from work or at bedtime. The word is that Rogaine has a 22hour half-life, so once a day should be enough.

I can get full scalp coverage with approx 1 cap. It takes me about 4 minutes to apply. Though, when my hair gets longer I bet it will be a little bit more difficult to apply. We'll see.

I'm also considering reducing my 1mg daily of finasteride to every 2nd day. Apparently, it is now known that 1mg reduces the DHT enzymes for up to 7 days! Check out this recent article from a respectable physician:

http://www.regrowhair.com/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatm...oss-every-other-day/

Regards,

I started using the rogaine (foam) on day 10 post HT. The foam does not have the irratation effect of the liquid. I have used rogaine for 17 years, starting with home made minox before it came on the market, then 2% , then 5% to generic 5%. It never grew any hair for me and slowed down the crown area, but not the front.

Then I stated to slack off in 2003.

I used it once a day and I continued to lose hair, even w/ finasteride which I stopped in 2006. Today I am a NW 6 with very diffuse thinning, and 2500 grafts.

this time I am using the foam, 2x a day and finasteride, while the 2300 graft HT grows in to see where I am at in 8 months. I will have good pics at that time.

My advice, if you have lots of hair to maintain, use the foam and ise the finasteride and use it as directed for you best chance at saving what you got. An HT should be the last option, its never as good as dense natural hair.