How to prevent shedding hair - need some help/advice

kg007

Hey guys -

Lot of you might remember me. I used to be regular here, then got pretty busy with everything going on.. I try to check out the new updates on this forum whenever i get chance.. Anyway, I got a questions and some of you with lot of experience might be able to help me figure out what's going on with me.

So I started using Rogaine foam about 5 months ago, and I used to for 3-4 weeks. I shedded a lot of hair, and I found it very inconvinient to continue using it for life so I stopped hoping that all the shedded hair in 4 weeks will grow back. Well it's been over 5 months now and I have noticed that I shed more hair than I used to before I started using the foam... I have lot less hair count now than I had before foam... And none of the shedded hair has grown back... I am trying to figure out what has happened and how I can stop the shed and reverse the situation. I also switched from propecia (1 mg/day) to proscar (1.25/day)about two months ago, but I don't think that has anything to do with the shed. I shed so much hair now that every time I run my fingers thru my hair, 1 to 3 hairs come out. Everytime I comb my hair, few hair falls. Every morning when I take shower I see lot of hait going thru the drain. Any similar situations? any advice/suggestions?

KG

Hey guys -

Lot of you might remember me. I used to be regular here, then got pretty busy with everything going on.. I try to check out the new updates on this forum whenever i get chance.. Anyway, I got a questions and some of you with lot of experience might be able to help me figure out what's going on with me.

So I started using Rogaine foam about 5 months ago, and I used to for 3-4 weeks. I shedded a lot of hair, and I found it very inconvinient to continue using it for life so I stopped hoping that all the shedded hair in 4 weeks will grow back. Well it's been over 5 months now and I have noticed that I shed more hair than I used to before I started using the foam... I have lot less hair count now than I had before foam... And none of the shedded hair has grown back... I am trying to figure out what has happened and how I can stop the shed and reverse the situation. I also switched from propecia (1 mg/day) to proscar (1.25/day)about two months ago, but I don't think that has anything to do with the shed. I shed so much hair now that every time I run my fingers thru my hair, 1 to 3 hairs come out. Everytime I comb my hair, few hair falls. Every morning when I take shower I see lot of hait going thru the drain. Any similar situations? any advice/suggestions?

KG

Kg007,

Of course I remember you...how have you been brother? It's good to hear from you.

I think you might be confusing shedding with hair loss.

The "shedding" you were experiencing when taking Rogaine for the first 4 weeks was most likely shedding. Hair shedding when using medication is a typical sign of it working - where the hair will grow back stronger and thicker.

The fact that you switched to Proscar from Propecia should not be causing any additional shedding. I had a similar concern when I switched and emailed Hasson and Wong about that. Their response was that there should be no change. And when I switched, there was no change.

Anything you are experiencing now is most likely not shedding, unfortunately. It is most likely your MPB getting more aggressive. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do about that.

You can consider consulting a doctor about trying dudasteride or increasing your finasteride dosage. You can also consider adding minoxodil and/or Nizoral/Revita into your regime to see if that helps.

I hope this helps bro.

Bill

I hate using minox, and I am not going back to it. As for the shedding, I understand what you're saying, but I am experiencing more daily shed than I did before I went on foam. And it's been 5 months since I stopped so I don't understand why I would continue to shed at that rate + I was hoping that the shedded hair duing 4 weeks of use would come back upon stopping the foam. Neither has happened, and as a result my hair looks much much thinner than before I started using it. I also use Nizoral 2% twice a week + 1.25 mg proscar.

I understand... I don't think I paying more attention than I used to. But I just see too much hair laying around, which catches my attention.. Every time I put hand in my hair, hairs come out... While I am working at my work desk, I see couple of hairs laying around thru out the day... anyway, I'll see how it goes in coming weeks.. I don't think I want to switch to avadart just yet.. I am gonna stick with proscar 1/4 pill... Anybody out there considering rogaine (foam), be careful! It's a very dangerous drug and annoying to use; it definitely accelerated my hair loss.. Just stick with finastride..

Hi,

I realize you have been on this forums for a bit longer than myself (about a week) so you may have time to do some more research, but I wouldn't be so quick to knock minox so quickly. Anyone, feel free to correct me at any point if my thoughts don't transfer to writing so easily.

You said you only used rogaine for 3-4 weeks, and that's just enough time for you hair to start shedding. Shed hair = good hair, as your thinner hairs are beginning to get replaced by thicker healthier hair. So the signs of shedding should be good. In any event, after that happens you need to let the new hair grow in - it may be in its resting phase so that could take up to 4 months. So results can take up 4-6 months to start seeing progress. Using it for only 3 weeks will give you just that- shedding.

I'm on my second week on minox now, so I can't say I'm talking from experience, but that's what I've researched. Some people (like myself) may be new, and hearing someone say that a treatment is bad and that they should stay away from it is very unsettling. A lot of the time it's just the psychological effects of knowing that you're doing something to stop your hairloss that helps, results aren't instant but at least you feel better about yourself!

So before you go saying that a drug is bad, try to take an objective look. I could generalize and say finastride makes everybody nauseous for 6 hours a day, stay away from it! But that could make some people uneasy, and it wouldn't be an objective viewpoint, so I'd try to present it a bit better.

As far as yourself, it's hard to tell whether or not you're actually paying more attention to your hair thinning. It's normal to loose ~100 hairs a day, so when you see a few by your desk shrug it off! Just try not to pay too much attention, take some pictures, and then be consistent with your medication. Try working out, or working towards another goal that will take some time. Track your progress with that and push your hair out of your mind. After a couple months when you've made good track with your other goal, then you can look into your hair again and take pictures. I'm not sure if worrying exascerbates hairloss, but it probably doesn't aid the process so why bother yourself!

Sorry if I came off as offensive at first, I'm on Minox and perhaps I got a little defensive...

I'm sure if I stayed on minox for longer, all the shedded hair would have grown into thicker hair.. But after using the foam, I don't think I can stay on it for life. I can't see committ myself to it for life.. and from what i have read/heard/experienced, if you ever stop it in your life, you will end up looking much much worse than what you had started with... so I don't wanna have that monkey on my back. So what I am concerd about is that the hair that i shedded in 3 weeks DUE TO foam, will it grow back?

Anyway, it's just your opinion and I appreciate it.

kg007,

The Rogaine Foam wouldn't have made your hair fall out and not come back. Perhaps you were going to lose this hair anyway due to MPB, in which case, it won't come back without the assistance of medication.

It's totally up to you as to whether or not you want to try minoxodil again - however, any benefits from using the medication will be lost once you stop.

Bill